Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi there folks, first of all i hope i got the right forum for my question. If not forgive me plz and accept my apology My question regards PuTTy, or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Special Characters in Password (PuTTY)

hi there folks,

first of all i hope i got the right forum for my question. If not forgive me plz and accept my apology

My question regards PuTTy, or to be more concrete PsFTP.

TBH I dont even know if its a Unix - related question, a problem with PuTTY or a win command line failure...

I try to execute

Code:
    psftp.exe -bc -be -b mybatch -v -P 22 -pw $***<*** -2 -i PRIVATEKEYfile user'at'host
    in the windows command line which throws the error: "The System cannot find the file specified"

If I remove the -pw Attribute everything works fine. (Though the manual entered password is not accepted... while i can connect via winscp without problems)

The problem is caused by the special characters in the password attribute, i tried already a lot like putting the password in single and double quotes, brackets etc without success. I asked google for escape sequences, too. but i didnt got any satisfying results.

Does anybody know a solution, without having to change the password?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I thought, password auth and key auth would exclude each other in putty/psftp.

Two thoughts:
    1) giving the password on the commandline is a bad idea.
    At least in unix, another user could see it by listing the processes.
    I suspect, windows will be similar here.

2) key auth should a) be enough and b) you would be able to use pageant as a ssh-agent to hold the passphrase to that private key.

Case 2) is only viable, if you can live without a two factor authentication.
    This here should help:
    Using public keys for SSH authentication
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.