Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I want cron to execute a script at a certain time which sends a command to a detached tmux/screen session. I have already started a session with "tmux new ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation crontab does not execute script or command containing tmux or screen?

Hi,

I want cron to execute a script at a certain time which sends a command to a detached tmux/screen session.

I have already started a session with "tmux new -d -n stuffn -s stuffs "blah" OR screen -dmS stuffs blah.

I then put "tmux send -t stuffs:stuffn "blah" C-m OR screen -x stuffs -X stuff "blah" in a script to send command to detached session. I ran the script manually it worked but when put in cron nothing happens. The cron script looks like "46 17 * * * /bin/sh /location/script.sh".

Putting the command directly in cron also doesnt do anything. I am sure cron is working itself.

Does anyone have an idea of whats going on?

Thanks in advance!

Trusted Penguin
    w/out looking at the screen/tmux stuff, what about redirecting the output of your cronjob to a log and see what it says? e.g.:

Code:
    46 17 * * * /bin/sh /location/script.sh > /tmp/script-out.log 2>&1

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    w/out looking at the screen/tmux stuff, what about redirecting the output of your cronjob to a log and see what it says? e.g.:

Code:
    46 17 * * * /bin/sh /location/script.sh > /tmp/script-out.log 2>&1
    THanks but i have already found the solution. I have to run the command as_user

Trusted Penguin
    that is good!

Just Joined!
    Thanks!