Find the answer to your Linux question:
What's everyone use? Looking to see what's available as an alternative to k3b. Ideally summat that will encode ogg to cda and burn in one go as well....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

cd burners

What's everyone use?

Looking to see what's available as an alternative to k3b. Ideally summat that will encode ogg to cda and burn in one go as well.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

I generally use K3B, but before that I used things like GToaster and XCDRoast, XCDRoast is easier for ISO files and GToaster is easier for CDs of backup data, random folders and such.

K3B works well on both of those, as well as audio mix CDs... but it's also KDE and QT-centric, which makes it kind of hard for a GNomey person.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    Agreed.

K3b does everything and burns like the wind but I'd also prefer an X / Gnome app cos I'm biased.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    hmm... you could write some shell scripts to use the CLI tools to do it without the GUI overhead.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    hmm... you could write some shell scripts to use the CLI tools to do it without the GUI overhead.
    That's true. Pretty much all CD burning apps are just GUI frontends for the cdrecord utils...
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I have the same question as him. I'm a Gnome user and am looking for a good app for burning CDs. I would also like to find software that will burn DVDs as well, will GToaster or one of the others you've mentioned do this?

Linux Enthusiast
    I always use Gnome, but I use K3b all the time. K3b runs fine outside of KDE/QT as long as you have the QT libs installed. I've had K3b run perfectly in Enlightenment as well.
    Most distros come with KDE, so just install it and set the default to Gnome, and K3b will run.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

i myself use gnome and the two other computers ive ever seen that use linux also ran gnome and most people here seem to use gnome so what i want to know is why do they make great programs use just kde (k3b and apollon are some examples) ive read that kde is chunkier and has more bugs while gnome is clean and eficciant.

also on gentoo's website i saw a list of icons people made for gentoo and one of them was easily recognizable as the Nero burning rom icon. does that mean that nero works in wine?
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    what i want to know is why do they make great programs use just kde (k3b and apollon are some examples)
    That's like asking why some people make only sundaes with chocolate syrup instead of strawberry. In other words: personal preference. There's no technical reason IMO to choose one or the other.

ive read that kde is chunkier and has more bugs while gnome is clean and eficciant.
    Really? Where have you read that. They apparently were misinformed. Both Gnome and KDE are rife with bugs; no piece of software isn't. As far as memory usage, I just know that I personally have seen no difference running Gnome versus KDE. They're both very capable Desktop Environments; the only difference is how they look and operate.

also on gentoo's website i saw a list of icons people made for gentoo and one of them was easily recognizable as the Nero burning rom icon. does that mean that nero works in wine?
    Not necessarily. More than likely someone just ripped the Nero icon from a MS Windows CD and used it on their desktop for another burning application.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants