Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am new to Linux and have little experience. I had used Gparted previosly in order to manage windows partitions (NTFS & FAT32). Now my harddrive has NTFS, ext3, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Is it safe to use Gparted ?!

Hello,

I am new to Linux and have little experience. I had used Gparted previosly in order to manage windows partitions (NTFS & FAT32). Now my harddrive has NTFS, ext3, ext4 and swap partitions. I want to reduce the size of the NTFS partitions and increase the size of the Linux partitions. I have Windows XP and OpenSuse 11.4 installed and working in my current system. Do you think that Gparted is up to the task ?! Are there any risks involved ?! Losing Windows, OpenSuse or losing my Home directory (mounted to seperate independent partition) ?!

Thanks in advance.

oz
    forum.guy
    Is it safe to use Gparted ?!
    Hello

You should always have a backup of anything that is important to you before manipulating partitions, so if you have that it should be safe enough to use gparted. There are always some risks involved, hence the wise decision to keep backups on hand. That said, I've used gparted on hundreds of machines and never encountered a problem using it.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Hello

You should always have a backup of anything that is important to you before manipulating partitions, so if you have that it should be safe enough to use gparted. There are always some risks involved, hence the wise decision to keep backups on hand. That said, I've used gparted on hundreds of machines and never encountered a problem using it.
    Thanks for sharing your ideas and experiences.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by webman19 View Post
    Do you think that Gparted is up to the task ?! Are there any risks involved ?! Losing Windows, OpenSuse or losing my Home directory (mounted to seperate independent partition) ?!
    Hi
    Always create backups before using gparted.
    I lost some data with gparted.