Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok heres the deal i wanna have a program auto start when KDE loads its folding@home (distrubuted computing prog) heres what i have to type everytime in console to make ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Auto Run script?

ok heres the deal i wanna have a program auto start when KDE loads its folding@home (distrubuted computing prog)

heres what i have to type everytime in console to make it run:
    su root
    pw

./FAH3Console-LinuxB.exe

how can i write a script or whatever to make this happen at kde bootup?

Thanks folks

Linux Engineer
    Wow, you can overclock 1.6 to 2.2? Didn't know that was possible.
    I haven't figured out a way to write a script that uses 'su' since the password must come directly from the keyboard. The way to overcome this is to give that executable file SUID permission or give permission to OTHERS. Then all you need to do is add that line in your script file (depending on how you login) and you are finished. Let me know if you need help setting this up.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    i've actually gotten this system stable at 2.4GHz but the one of the PC800RAMBUS modules begins to fail so its 2.2ghz @1gb of ram or 2.4ghz at 512....i've made my choice =)

i am new to linux and decided to run it as my only OS so no windows here, i could use all the help i can get for writing this script. I have no idea where to begin.

Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    i've actually gotten this system stable at 2.4GHz but the one of the PC800RAMBUS modules begins to fail so its 2.2ghz @1gb of ram or 2.4ghz at 512....i've made my choice =)

i am new to linux and decided to run it as my only OS so no windows here, i could use all the help i can get for writing this script. I have no idea where to begin.

Thanks!

Linux Engineer
    OK, do you know UNIX file system? The easiest way to do it would be to set the executable permission for OTHERS. Exactly what is the purpose of running that file? What shell are you using (if you see $, then bash)?

Linux Guru
    Why do you have to run that program as root at all?

Just Joined!
    i have tried running it as user and it doesnt work, i have permissions set for everyone to read/write ect..but it still makes me run as root
    i know some of the basics of the file system

its a program that studies proteins and how they behave to help find cures for cancer ect... our team is ranked 3rd in the world and i need to keep it going and sometimes i forget to execute at bootup.

Linux Guru
    That's exactly why I find it so strange. If it's just a processing program, then it shouldn't have to run as root. I'd prefer the solution to make it run as a user. I'd never want to run a program as root if it doesn't really have to do that.
    What errors does it give you?

Just Joined!
    its weird the program will start to load under user but it wont have any of my account information and it wont store it either i've tried re-entering it as user....weird stuff...

Linux Engineer
    Can you show us the result after running 'ls -al <file>'?