Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried to use audacious to play a CD. As described I went if via plugin service and scan CD then Add CD and tried to play. Nothing. I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Audacious problem

I tried to use audacious to play a CD. As described I went if via plugin service and scan CD then Add CD and tried to play. Nothing. I can play digital audio sound effects etc. When I tried to click on CDROM, CDROM0, or CDROM1 it comes back unable to mount. I am using a newly installed DVD (Philips) on Slackware 13.0. Any suggestions appreciated.

Just Joined!
    Hi

Is the CD mounting okay? To check, have you been able to use the player to read a data CD? Could you post your /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab when you have a CD in the player?

Linux User
    I am able to mount the disk and am able to read data disks I have burned and play commercial CD using: mplayer cdda://
    I can only get workbone to flash as it tries to play but no sound. Mplayer is unsatisfactory due to a buffering problem.
    Both xmms and audacious confuse me. Between device at /dev/cdrom and directory at /mnt/cdrom in xmms via options > Preferences > Configure the terms leave me in a quandary let alone what step should be next. In audacious I try to play by clicking play and then under places: cdrom, 0, or 1 all yield "Could not mount cdrom, 0, 1", respectively.
    Here is fstab:
    /dev/hda3 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    /dev/hda6 /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hda7 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hda8 /opt ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hda9 /var ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hda10 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hda11 /tmp ext3 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hda1 /winc ntfs-3g umask=077 1 0
    /dev/hda2 /winf ntfs-3g umask=077 1 0
    /dev/sda1 /tma1 vfat defaults 1 0
    /dev/sda2 /tma2 vfat defaults 1 0
    /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom iso9660 noauto,users,ro 0 0
    /dev/cdrom0 /media/cdrom0 iso9660 noauto,users,ro 0 0
    /dev/cdrom1 /media/cdrom1 iso9660 noauto,users,ro 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    mtab is a reflection of fstab and whether a disk is in the drive makes no difference to either listing.
    If you could state for me the steps you use to play a CD in audacious would be helpful since that seems to be what clouds the water for me. If you could also do that for xmms perhaps I can get my foot in the stirrup.
    TNX a lot