Relative newbie here. I've been using xemacs for a while with no problems, but earlier tonight I used regular emacs to open a C++ source file, just to look at it, not edit or anything. I opened the file by browsing graphically (I use Mandriva w/KDE) to the folder it was in and using the old "open with emacs" option.

Then I tried to closing emacs and it asked me if I wanted to create folder .semanticsdb or something like that. I clicked no and so the program just stayed open. I tried closing again, it prompted me about the directory, so I clicked yes just to get on with things. But nothing happened and it wouldn't close. I'd keep trying to close it and get this error message:

(No files need saving)
Saving tag summaries...done
save-place-forget-unreadable-files: Wrong type argument: stringp, setq

I managed to find help on turning on the debugger, and I get this error message:

(I've had to keep deleting chunks from this because the forum insisted I was trying to post a URL)
save-place-forget-unreadable-files()
save-place-alist-to-file()
save-place-kill-emacs-hook()
run-hooks(kill-emacs-hook)
kill-emacs()
save-buffers-kill-emacs()
handle-delete-frame((delete-frame (#<frame

And then there's some bytecode. I do not know lisp, I am just a beginning C++-er.

There was also something about not finding /usr/share/emacs/23.1/lisp/saveplace.el or something like that. I checked it out and the file was there but with the extension .elc, so I made a duplicate with the extension .el and this made emacs behave differently when I tried to close. Now it asked if I wanted to save buffers or some such, I tried hitting yes, it prompted me to enter a file name, so I backed out and *then* tried to close again. This time nothing.

I also tried rebooting. Emacs started up with the rest of the desktop.

Please help! Let me know what you need from me to help me, I am running Mandriva 2010.2 and emacs 23.1.1