Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I found when I switched to nouveau I had to play around a bit to get a terminal with acceptable text so I already have video=800x640@85 on the kernel line, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I found when I switched to nouveau I had to play around a bit to get a terminal with acceptable text so I already have video=800x640@85 on the kernel line, resolution looks to be about that. Interesting link ...

Ed: just tested with video=1600x1200@75 which is the maximum resolution, links works at that resolution ... I must have played around with video setting because on the normal terminal the text is smaller than I wanted
    Last edited by Jonathan183; 08-08-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kohog View Post
    I don't understand why you are so deeply opposed to this; if you are going to use a framebuffer driver, why not boot with it?
    Well, I use a very stripped-down kernel which doesn't contain these drivers. But I am so curious about this business that I built a parallel kernel just for experimenting.
    What I have discovered so far is that vesa does not work on my very basic chip; the highest mode available is 123, which obviously doesn't contain enough colours for 10pt antialiased print display; hence the poor legibility in links. 318, which is the mode I really need, isn't recognised.
    I'm going to try with the native driver i810fb, which has a lot of options and see if that gets round it.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Got it! I'm using Links on the framebuffer right now and it reads beautifully. The trick is to use the native i810fb driver and specify bpp=24 (true colour). The problem is I can't yet boot in this mode. I have to insert the module after booting. But I'm sure I'll find a way around that.

I wish I could compile this driver in. But so far I haven't succeeded in doing that; it's <m> or nothing. Another thing to work on.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2