Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello. I'm really new to Linux and even newer to using Linx. I just had a few quick questions really. How do i edit lynx.cfg, i've tried and can't seem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linx Questions ?

Hello. I'm really new to Linux and even newer to using Linx. I just had a few quick questions really. How do i edit lynx.cfg, i've tried and can't seem to. and also where are things like cookies cached, and how can i clear them. Thanks.

Linux Enthusiast
    you might need to be root to edit that file.
    try getting root privs in the term or log on as root for that.

Just Joined!
    hmm, i already was logged on as root. Thanks

Linux Engineer
    You can edit the file with one of linux:s texteditors, vi,emacs or pico. just type as root:vi lynx.cfg

regards

Regards

Andutt

Linux Enthusiast
    if you were root then editing that file should be no problem whatsoever, so I dunno what else to say unless you can give more precise info on what you are trying that isn't working.
    as far as your editing or clearing out cookies is concerned, in order to tell you how to do that, you first have to tell us what browser you are using, there are numerous ones to choose from in linux.

Just Joined!
    yowwww, i'm using lynx. How would i go about clearing the cookies and the rest of the cache. Thanks

Linux Enthusiast
    I have lynx, but I don't use it much. Nonetheless, I got this from a google search:

Code:
    # Lynx 2.8.x

Press "O" to go to the Options page. Near the top of that page there is a drop-down list labeled "Cookies".  The options in that menu are "Ignore", "Ask User", and "Accept All".  To get alerts when a site tries to send a cookie, set that to "Ask User".  To make Lynx reject all cookies, set it to "Ignore".
    To see (and edit) the cookies that Lynx has stored so far, press "Control-K" to bring up the "Cookie Jar" page.  You can follow the links on this page to delete individual cookies, delete all cookies from particular sites, or tell Lynx to reject all cookies from particular sites.
    from this site:

http://www.cexx.org/gofaster.htm

Just Joined!
    andutt. I tried typing "vi lynx.cfg" and it gives me a page of tildes(one on each line) then at the very bottom of the page is says "lynx.cfg [NEW FILE]. did i do something wrong? how do i edit the current configuration file? Thank you.

Linux Enthusiast
    that means that you are in the wrong directory, wrong permissions, wrong filename, using the wrong program or you are editing a file that is not meant for editing.

if you are not used to using text mode, check out my guide on 'how to install nvidia drivers' - there is a section there on editing text files. if you already know how to do this, then disregard, otherwise, practice can really help.

Just Joined!
    wow do i feel like an idiot. It was lynx/lynx.cfg. Thanks for all of your help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast