Find the answer to your Linux question:
What's the appeal of Thunderbird? Why not use Gmail and access mail from anywhere? Am I missing something here?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why Thunderbird?

What's the appeal of Thunderbird? Why not use Gmail and access mail from anywhere? Am I missing something here?

Why not just use webmail instead of MicroSoft Outlook, or Apple Mail?
    Or Evolution?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Not everyone uses webmail (or wants to).

I think most people use both, when needed. That's how I do it. Evolution for home and Gmail for traveling or just being away from home.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    Webmail works pretty well for me most of the time, but I don't blame anyone for wanting an email client on their machine. That said, I don't use email clients all that much anymore but when I do, it's Thunderbird all the way.
    oz

I use Icedove, which is the Debian version of Thunderbird, part time, mostly for the contacts/calendar portion of it. I mostly use a webmail interface for both my private and company email. I don't need to store my emails on my local machine, that seems wasteful, and that's just about the only appeal of an email client.

Just Joined!
    That's what I mean. If you use both, there's the inevitable syncing issues to deal with. And as far as contacts and calendars there are web apps for those as well. I do like the idea of a fairly configurable client on my machine but I have to agree with sgosnell. It just seems wasteful to me.

If you use IMAP, syncing isn't an issue, it's automatic. However, if you must use POP3, then you can have problems, depending on how you set up the email client. There are other calendar and contact packages, but none of them seem to work very well. Linux is very meager on contact apps, and using Iceowl or its plugin for Icedove is about all I've found that works well enough. Icedove also has a google calendar add-on, and this works well for me, giving me my google calendar without having to be online. I must confess, though, that I still mostly use the web interfaces for all of this. I know that lots of people don't like having anything stored 'in the cloud', but I'm not that worried about it. I have nothing there that is particularly sensitive. Anything I'm worried about having stolen I keep locally, encrypted, or encrypted online.