Find the answer to your Linux question:
i've recently installed RH 9 and tried to install wine/winex. the problem is i keep getting an error about wineserver/socket not being a file or directory...also when i last tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

winex

i've recently installed RH 9 and tried to install wine/winex.
    the problem is i keep getting an error about wineserver/socket not being a file or directory...also when i last tried to build from source i got segmentation faults and even had to reset my PC(rare thing under linux )

thanks in advance,
    ice

Linux Guru
    That is actually a bug in wine. Run "rm -rf ~/.wine/wineserver*" to fix it temporarily.
    If gcc segfaults, that is a _bad_ thing. It often indicates hardware failure. If I were you, I'd download memtest86 and leave it on during a night (or preferrably the whole day) to let it test your memory thoroughly.

Just Joined!
    already tried the rm thing and it didn't work. any other ideas?
    what memory are we talking about RAM or HD?
    do i realy have to let that app run all day or could i leave it on for a few hours?

Linux Guru
    Didn't work? Do you mean that it made no difference at all? That seems rather strange in that case. See if you have any wine-related processes running, and if so, kill them, and then try the rm thing again. If you want a fast and efficient way of killing all wine processes, do this:
    Code:
    ps -A | grep wine | awk '{print $1;}' | xargs -i kill -KILL {}
    As for the memory, I'm talking about the RAM. Although you _can_ just leave it on for a few hours, it's not certain that it will detect it then. You should let it run through all tests a couple of times.
    Like I said, you can just leave it on during the night. That way it should have enough time.