Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to find a good apache administration tool that will log ip's and show who is logged on etc etc. i have mandrake 9.1 with KDE 3.1, apache 2.0, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Apache/Web Traffic Logging and Tools

I'm trying to find a good apache administration tool that will log ip's and show who is logged on etc etc. i have mandrake 9.1 with KDE 3.1, apache 2.0, php 4.3, perl 5.8 and mysql 4.0
    if you know any good admin/monitor tools for apache that are desktop based or php/mysql based traffic monitors please post them here

i've already looked at linuxconf and that is more than i want (i'm primarily concerned with monitoring who accesses my server)
    i've tried installing comanche but that did not work, which is another issue i have: when i see "webpage updated May 1999" i don't feel so good about getting it ... so to sum it up apache traffic monitor that i can use on kde desktop and/or web based traffic logging, but in either case, stuff that's up-to-date !

thanks,
    Zach

P.S. I'm not always that demanding ....

Linux Engineer
    The apacheserver logs every connection against it, you can find the log under /var/logg/httpd/access.log. If you want to do something more advanced i suggest you program something in PHP or Perl.

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    i'm aware of that, now is there a tool that converts that to a more visually pleasing form ? i'm sure there is ... my question is what tool would you reccomend ...
    also if i knew how program i wouldn't be asking for help on here

Linux Guru
    How do you mean when you say logged in? HTTP is a state-less protocol, which means that at no time anyone is actually logged in.

Just Joined!
    not just http, see if someone is logged on through telnet or ftp etc etc basically i wanna be able to see traffic on the server ... if there isn't a tool for that i would at least want to be able to see who did log on etc, basically i want a simpler way to look at log files (not having to look through thousands of lines in the access_log file) i hope that makes more sense ...
    or like i already said a php or pearl script that will show me stats/traffic on the server/website

Linux Guru
    It's a bit protocol dependant. For FTP, you have the ftpwho command (doesn't work with all FTP daemons, though).
    For all shell logins, like telnet, ssh and the like, you can always use the old, standard "who" command. Neither of there are GUI, though.
    For HTTP, there isn't such a thing as "logged in", like I said, but if you want statistics, I'd recommend looking into webalizer.

Just Joined!
    thanks for clarifying the ftp, and telnet issue but again i'd like to restate: i know what i should get but i'm asking if anyone can suggest a particular program or script ... i can search the web and surely find tons but i don't want to test them all out before i find a good one, so if anyone has used one of the above let me know what you used and how liked it ....

thanks