Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I would really appreciate if anybody could help me out here. I have installed Evolution mail in few Ubuntu client and and one in Centos Server The problem is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Evolution email in Ubuntu and CentOS- incoming emails getting deleted

Hi
    I would really appreciate if anybody could help me out here.
    I have installed Evolution mail in few Ubuntu client and and one in Centos Server
    The problem is now when we are importing draft emails from a draft folder to the email inbox for sending out . the incoming mails in the inbox are getting deleted.
    Why?
    Can anyone help.

Thanks

You don't have the email client configured for pop3 when it should be IMAP do you? When you use pop3, your client machine downloads the emails, effectively deleting them from the server. With IMAP you should just read the server copy, leaving them in place on the server.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Hi Thanks so Much!!
    I am facing an issue with another aspect. We have loaded Evolution email on Centos server, which is connected on LAN with other clients. Now the requirement is that each client should just copy their draft emails to Evolution public folder and then the system admin can just click and forward those emails from the server. This is possible in Outlook express, but in Evolution client systems are unable to access directly the public folders in Evolution In Cent OS. Kindly note evolution has been loaded in all client systems too which are connected on LAN.
    Please let me know how can a client access the public folders directly. Right now they have to export and them import.. infact the entire process takes around 8 clicks for each email. Which means if a system admin has to forward 50 email there has to be 50*8 clicks .. which is not acceptable.
    I need a solution to this very badly. Please help
    Regards

What you're trying to do makes very little sense to me. Just because a method was OK in Outlook does not mean it's the best method of doing it, or even getting close to being what you want.

This problem looks like it is an issue with file system permissions on your server, but that's a pretty wild stab at at what could be going wrong, to be honest.

If you're pumping all your emails through an admin, you should be able to control where emails go and who forwards them by configuring your email server well and using your email re-writing rules. This should be straightforward enough, but I've never had to play with rewriting rules.

Perhaps if you could explain more why you want this to work in this way, we may be able to propose a better solution.

Just Joined!
    Hi
    Thanks for your prompt reply. Let me explain the entire situation to you. We are trying to change a setup which was working completely on windows to a linux based system. Most of the things we could change to linux but we are getting stuck in one issue- their emailing system.
    The earlier email system was : internet was connected to only one system and other client systems were connected in LAN. Outlook express was loaded in all the systems. When ever anybody wanted to send an email, they would type in outlook express and save it directly to a shared folder in outlook express residing on the system connected to the internet.System admin would then access that folder and send off all the emails directly.

Now as a linux replication we have loaded Evolution in all systems and created a server with CentOS and loaded Evolution there too. CentOS is 5.3 and evolution -the latest version. We are not using any email server the reason being the earlier windows system did not have any email server.

So the task of each client is to export their email drafts to the shared folder in Evolution in the server. BUT to export each email to the shared folder in the Evolution in the Server is takes 8 steps. If each day around 60 emails are being sent.it would actually take 8*60 clicks which is not at all user friendly.
    Is there anyway a client can access the file system in the server.. or where exactly the local files of Evolution is located in CentOS.
    If you can suggest a better method please let us know.
    I really need help.
    Regards
    Sharmistha

Yes, there is a better method. CentOS 5.x comes with Sendmail installed as standard. If your CentOS server can talk to the internet, then it can send emails. Configuring Sendmail can be a little complex, especially if you want it to do anything a little non-standard, but it's not that hard for simple stuff.

If you tell all your Outlook or Evolution clients that they should use the mail server defined by your CentOS machine's IP address (or domain name if you have a DNS service), then they should be able to send their emails using the 'Send' button the same way that most folks do.

The basic configuration is usually enough - it's just a matter of configuring the CentOS machines /etc/mail directory to contain a RELAY file telling it which IP addresses it can forward email from. Of course, this is the first step of getting things working the way you really want - and if you're prepared to learn a little more you'll have as much control as you like over emails leaving your organisation.

You may want to take a look down the Sendmail Documentation Pages

Just Joined!
    Hi
    Thanks a lot for your help and I shall try out the same way.
    Thanks a ton....

Regards