Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, i'm using Gnome and i need a normal clipboard manager, such as Glipper. I'd use that, but it's glitchy, and it's a well known issue (it tends to crash ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best clipboard manager?

Hi, i'm using Gnome and i need a normal clipboard manager, such as Glipper. I'd use that, but it's glitchy, and it's a well known issue (it tends to crash from time to time after startup), but its working functionality is great. I've tried autocutsel and parcellite, first one just doesn't work, i don't understand how to make it "remember" things and i don't even know how to manage it, it has no gui/tray icon. Second one seems to be ok, but it doesn't work instantly (i can't just use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V), though it does store all lines in buffer. There's also Klipper (KDE) and xfce clipboard manager, but i try not to mix kde or other software with gnome if possible, so i'd rather look for gnome or just independent software instead. Any suggestions?..

Just Joined!
    Sorry, i just found the solution for Glipper. It seems to have fixed the issue. But you may elaborate on parcellite... maybe it does what i need, but i can't get it done for some reasons.

Just Joined!
    You may try Keepboard. It's a relatively new clipboard manager, written in Java, and supports both Linux and Windows.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I normally just use the default clipboard. Never had any issues with it/them. What is your rationale for wanting an "aftermarket" tool?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    What do you call "default" one? If you're talking about Glipper then it can't be non-problematic. There's a bug in it, which though can be fixed by raising up a delay before startup, so that way it won't crush. And what YOU are using i have no clue.

And hey, thanks for telling me about Keepboard, i don't really need it at the moment but i'll surely keep that in mind.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It's whatever clipboard that starts up with Gnome and the system. I never paid much attention to it, other than that I've never had problems with it. However, I'm not using the latest Gnome since I am running RHEL 6.x
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I'm using Debian, and initially i don't get any clipper manager supplied with it, i have to install it myself later. In Debian you get only base Gnome which is pretty much bare. And also it took me a while to realize that i do really need such manager, 'cause i had probs copy/pasting stuff. And also, i'm not using latest Gnome 3 if you ask me, i'm on 2.30, that's the version you get if you install latest Debian stable. Gnome 3 sucks terribly, and i wish i can use stable for as long as possible out of the fact that Gnome is one thing you can't upgrade or downgrade. It's tied to kernel and other software usually, and changing Gnome means changing the whole damn OS version. If by any means it's possible. Same goes to KDE. That's one thing i don't like about linux. Oh well, such is life. And you probably got Gnome mixed with other non-Gnome stuff. I dunno much about RHEL, but i do know there are distros where you get things mixed-up beforehand providing you nice working setup and probably with some stuff fixed in advance too. Still, i think what you got there as a clipper manager is either parcellite or Klipper (KDE app).
    Last edited by Damiano; 01-19-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Just Joined!
    By the way.. if you're still interested, there's one more good clipboard tool which is called clipman. That one is shipped with xfce. Works ok.