Find the answer to your Linux question:
I got this message today while running upgrade on Linux Mint LMDE. Anyone have any idea what this means? The system seemed to upgrade to 11.60 just fine, but this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Odd Opera upgrade message on Mint LMDE

I got this message today while running upgrade on Linux Mint LMDE. Anyone have any idea what this means? The system seemed to upgrade to 11.60 just fine, but this is an odd message and curiosity is getting the best of me.

Setting up opera (11.60.1185-1linuxmint) ...
    update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/opera to provide /usr/bin/gnome-www-browser (gnome-www-browser) in auto mode.

You can use update-alternatives to configure many parameters for your computer. That one, run automatically instead of manually, configures your system to open opera automatically whenever a call is made to gnome-www-browser. Essentially, if you click on a link in another program, that link will be opened in opera without the need for you to do anything else. If you want to change it, you can run update-alternatives with the proper parameters. The man pages should tell you exactly how. If you want to do it another way, you can open Opera or another browser, and somewhere in the settings there should be a selection for something like "make Opera the default browser?" Changing that setting should, in theory, change the default browser. I haven't used Ubuntu or Mint in a long time, though, so I can't promise it will still work there.

Thanks. I knew one of you gurus would know the answer to that! I typically set my preferences using the GUI, but I will have to learn how to do that using update-alternatives. Good stuff.