Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't like shotwell photo manager, I prefer the gnome image viewer, but sometime in the last few weeks they have been hijacked by shotwell. I can turn them on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

My photos have been hijacked by shotwell

I don't like shotwell photo manager, I prefer the gnome image viewer, but sometime in the last few weeks they have been hijacked by shotwell. I can turn them on with image viewer as a one time deal, but I want to set it to use image vewer all the time automatically. How can I do this, and make sure shotwell doesn't "help" me by taking over again? i didn't see anything in the archive, but I may be phrasing the question wrong.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    If you don't like Shotwell then you could remove it, from a terminal window, via

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove shotwell
    and your pictures should (hopefully) open in your preferred app.

Otherwise you could keep Shotwell and right-click on an image file, choose "open with" from menu, then select the gnome image viewer as the app to open your image with and also select it as the default app for those types of files. You may have to repeat this for each different image file format though.

I had tried the properties, open with, but it kept resetting itself to shotwell. Guess I will try and remove shotwell. Thanks.

update: Removing shotwell worked, now my photos open as I want them. Shotwell was part of an update I guess, not my choosing.
    Last edited by MASONTX; 12-20-2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: update
    Registered Linux user #526930