Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have a problem installing VLC player in Fedora 7. Can anyone help me?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora 7 VLC player

I have a problem installing VLC player in Fedora 7. Can anyone help me?

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

I'd personally recommend that you start solving this issue by installing a later version of Fedora. Version 7 was released back in May of 2007 and has become obsolete, so you will very likely to continue to have problems with it when trying to install new packages.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I'm using Fedora 7 as suggested by my teacher for a project. Is there no other way to solve this problem than upgrading to newer versions?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by sanju22 View Post
    I'm using Fedora 7 as suggested by my teacher for a project. Is there no other way to solve this problem than upgrading to newer versions?
    There may be, but you'll probably have to post more details such as what package installation method you are using to install VLC along with any error messages that you are receiving before anyone can help.
    oz

Just Joined!
    When I try the command:
    yum install vlc

It displays the following:
    fedora 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
    livna 100% |=========================| 2.4 kB 00:00
    Setting up Install Process
    Parsing package install arguments
    No package vlc available.
    Nothing to do

Wat do I do? Is there something else like 'Repositories' I have to download? I dint find any repository package anywhere.

oz
    forum.guy
    Check the following page for some tips on getting VLC installed on the various versions of Fedora:

VideoLAN - VLC media player for Fedora
    oz

VLC was available from the Livna repository - this is where the Official VLC Website directs you. Unfortunately for you, Livna is now part of RPMForge, and it's support for Fedora 7 is now ended.

You could try downloading and installing the VLC rpm for a newer version of Fedora. It might work, but you'd be on your own getting it up and running. And you'd have to satisfy the dependencies yourself.

If you must have VLC, then consider upgrading to the latest Fedora release (or any of the current Linux distributions) - once it's up and running you could then use Openbox or VMWare player to run a virtual machine which can be used to install Fedora 7 on. That'd give you both the latest version of VLC and F7.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    I tried that way already. No use!
    Can you suggest me another good mp3 player?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by sanju22 View Post
    I tried that way already. No use!
    Can you suggest me another good mp3 player?
    I personally like mplayer, but many users prefer vlc.

That said, I believe you will continue to run into issues trying to install packages on Fedora 7 due to its age. You should be fine with it though, if you don't need to install any updates or new packages.
    oz

I'm with ozar here - even mplayer will need gstreamer packages to handle the mp3 file format (as it's proprietary, and doesn't fit with the open source perspective of Fedora). Livna used to provide the binary gstreamer packages that gave you this.

There used to be a codec package off the mplayer website, if it's still there it might help - once you have the codecs available, xine, mplayer, amarok etc. should all work. There used to be a few winamp-like players around too, back in the late noughties, I used to use one called (iirc) 'beep'.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast