Find the answer to your Linux question:
Not that i particularly like IE, but i am curious about a site and it uses MS silverlight and i think i need to run IE in order to view ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

does any one run IE trough wine ?

Not that i particularly like IE, but i am curious about a site and it uses
    MS silverlight and i think i need to run IE in order to view it.
    IS there any work arounds to see web pages with silverlight that any one has come by ?

Note this is not my most important issues. just curiosity..
    And i reallly dont want to start using IE again..

If you are using IE trough wine what version are you using.
    And what type of installer/exe file for IE do you use..

Personally, I didn't even use IE when I ran Windows. That's just me, though.
    But this might help you out: Main Page - IEs4Linux
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I know what you mean Jayd512.
    Neither did i. If any one out there knows any way to view silverlight content in and Linux environment. ( so im more curious than in an absolute need )..
    And if it is too much of a hassle then i'll just leave it be. Plenty of more interesting thing to look up.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The main thing that gets discussed around here that requires Silverlight is NetFlix.
    And SilverLight has no native support for running on Linux.
    IE in Wine might work, but really the only feasible work around is to run Windows in a VM or to dual-boot.
    I wish I could give better news than that.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    There's Moonlight but I don't know what it's like.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by akimelit View Post
    Not that i particularly like IE, but i am curious about a site and it uses
    MS silverlight and i think i need to run IE in order to view it.
    IS there any work arounds to see web pages with silverlight that any one has come by ?

Note this is not my most important issues. just curiosity..
    And i reallly dont want to start using IE again..

If you are using IE trough wine what version are you using.
    And what type of installer/exe file for IE do you use..
    Only if you first hit me over the head with a lead pipe, tie me hand and foot and then drop me into a river, and finally threaten to make me listen to or watch the current Republican Presidential candidate debates!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Only if you first hit me over the head with a lead pipe, tie me hand and foot and then drop me into a river, and finally threaten to make me listen to or watch the current Republican Presidential candidate debates!
    All that said, if I HAVE to run IE to see something like what you say, I'll run IE in Windows on a virtual machine running under Linux. I still have TWO programs that I absolutely need to use which ONLY run on Windows, Fidelity Active Trader Pro, and Fidelity Option Trader Pro. That's because I am a semi-professional stock/options trader. At one point in my career I wrote risk analysis software for the options trading industry in Chicago. Now I do performance engineering for a tier-one cell-phone manufacturer. Needless to say, I am a LOT happier with my current job!

IE7 in Wine

I use IE7 using wine in debian, but I download the latest build from sourceforge.net and then install winetricks. Then download IE7 from microsoft.com.

I'm not sure if you need to have silverlight installed in IE, or if you just need IE's active X abilities. I haven't used windows in years.

Just use IE7 to view how my webpages appear to IE users.

If you are using debian, I can give you pretty detailed instructions.

One final thing. In my new job (at a multi-national tier-1 company), my laptop/workstation runs Win7, with the latest version of IE, naturally. I also run Chrome on the machine (as default browser). It is interesting that some company sites/pages work better on Chrome, and others (those that require a lot of user input to configure devices, for example) require IE. Unfortunately, that mean that when I want to traverse a link to a page that requires IE, if I am not navigating from IE, I have to "scrape" the URL and copy that into the address field of IE... A serious (but not insurmountable) PITA! Anyway, I keep both browsers open all the time as a result. If a company page doesn't work well on one, I just copy the URL to the other...

So, things that require ActiveX controls, Silverlight, etc will get directed to IE. Everything else goes to Chrome. In any case, if someone has an automated way to deal with this cruft, I would be the FIRST person who would be interested in knowing about it!

As for running IE in Wine, IE 6 runs there just fine, and I have read some posts about how to run IE 7.0 as well. Don't know about 8.0 or later. As I said previously, when I HAVE to use more current versions of IE on Linux, I run it in a Windows VM. Less hassle, and fewer problems, other than needing the Windoze license.