Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I have been looking for few days now on how to let php send mails to other domains like gmail, hotmail yahoo. Just to other domains outside my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How to setup php sendmail stuff?

Hello all,

I have been looking for few days now on how to let php send mails to other domains like gmail, hotmail yahoo. Just to other domains outside my server.

I started off with sendmail but it did not work.
    I am trying postfix but I really don't get it anymore.

I am a noob in setting up stuff like this. I just know how to set up a webserver.

What I want to achieve is to send an email to a user who registers him/herself at my website. They should get an email with an activation link or whatever, but I didn't manage to get sendmail or postfix to work.

Can someone please help me, give me a very simple guide or whatever?

Thanks in advance.
    Sluijsens

Trusted Penguin
    You need to get a MTA (Mail Transfer Agent) set up. PHP is just an application that will call the MTA behind the scenes. Along with sendmail and postfix are exim and qmail (and others).

Google for a good tutorial. Use your Linux distro and version along with your MTA of choice in your query. You should find something useful in a few minutes.

Come back here with questions/problems!

Just Joined!
    Php mailserver setup.txtI finally got it to work!
    I have installed the pear mail scripts and that worked.

For other people who are struggling with this, this might be your solution too. Its in the attachement.

Thanks atreyu.
    And I hope it also helps other people. And if not, then at least I helped myself^^.

KR
    Sluijsens

Trusted Penguin
    great! and thanks for posting your solution...desperate googlers will be thankful.