Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am wondering if anybody can help me in playing .avi file in RHEL6(64 bit), movie player or Dragon player? i tried downloading vlc but due of dependencies in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy not able to play.avi files.

Hi,

I am wondering if anybody can help me in playing .avi file in RHEL6(64 bit), movie player or Dragon player? i tried downloading vlc but due of dependencies in RHE6(64bit) unable to install it. I also tried playing my .avi files in mplayer it asked me to download techsmith camtasia plugin which i installed, but no good the video display is now flickering, earlier there was only sound.

Can anybody suggest any other player?
    thank you in advance.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What repositories do you have installed? I run Scientific Linux 6 (clone of RHEL 6) and VLC has been happily installed on my system for a year now! On my system, it is in the atrpms repository. In any case, avi files are simply wrappers for other video formats, such as mpeg4, etc. I haven't had any problems running any of them with either VLC or Kaffeine. Have you tried Kaffeine? What codecs do you have installed?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    FWIW, there are times when repositories conflict with each other and you can't install some package because of that. I have found that by disabling the conflicting repository, either via editing the appropriate /etc/yum.repos.d/repository.repo file, or by using the --disablerepo=repository-id-or-glob option to yum, you can often install packages that otherwise won't.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi,

Thank you, i don't think it was repo case, however i downloaded kaffeine and now its working good,

Once again thank you a lot for suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by sukarn001 View Post
    Hi,

Thank you, i don't think it was repo case, however i downloaded kaffeine and now its working good,

Once again thank you a lot for suggestion.
    Glad to help! Once upon a time (and occasionally still), I was in your position. Just pay it back by helping others up the "Linux ramp"!