Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I look in the Ubuntu Software Centre, I see a few choices: Umbrello: KDE so thats out as I use XFCE. Reviewed as horrendously buggy. Gaphor: Reviewed as very ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

Looking for a good UML Modeler

When I look in the Ubuntu Software Centre, I see a few choices:

Umbrello: KDE so thats out as I use XFCE. Reviewed as horrendously buggy.
    Gaphor: Reviewed as very basic and horrendously buggy.
    BOUML: Reviewed as horrendously buggy along with an almost unusable GUI.

Dia looks like a candidate but it doesn't appear to have full UML modeling.

Is there a good UML modeler available for Linux or are Gaphor and BOUML better than reviewed?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Elija, if you are looking for an industrial strength tool that will run on Linux (under Wine, but very well there), then try Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect. I have been using it since 2006 for all of my requirements/design/modeling/code-generation/reverse-engineering needs. It costs less than $200USD for the professional license (30 day free full eval), and worth every penny. The web site is: www. sparxsystems.com - they are an Australian company. My current company, Nokia, has it as a standard provider as well. I just got a license for my work there. It is easily as capable as Doors (requirements), Rose or Tau-G2 (UML modeling), and more stuff that would easily cost you $5000-$10,000 / seat from IBM these days. You can even simulate your models with the tool, generate code (for just about every language you know of), or reverse engineer code to models as needed - a capability I have found VERY useful in order to deal with legacy or client software when I was a consultant (now just part time).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    FWIW, I have been trying to get Sparx to build a Linux-specific version of EA for years. No go, but they DO make sure that it works well on Wine, so I can forgive them that "oversight"...

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    That looks really good but a bit OTT for my personal use. I have found ArgoUML (link) which looks like it might meet my relatively simple needs. It's Java based so is cross platform and is released under the EPL so is a free licence.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Well, I have used Umbrello in the past - back before 2005. It was OK, but the free version was minimally functional. I've been using Sparx EA since 2006, and really swear by it. I have lately been using it to model our seriously complex internet browser server environment. It has paid for itself several times over in just a couple of weeks in exposing major system bottlenecks. As some wag once said, "you get what you pay for". The price isn't important, only the results are!

FWIW, I was showing some of the diagrams that I generated with Sparx to one of our engineering managers, and he could only say "Gee, if we only had that 3 years ago!"...

Linux Newbie

About a half year ago I needed to have a complete code review in my opensource project (DbAssistant | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net). I found BoUML pretty simple and robust to build & print UML diagrams and for generating code itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    About a half year ago I needed to have a complete code review in my opensource project (DbAssistant | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net). I found BoUML pretty simple and robust to build & print UML diagrams and for generating code itself.
    You gotta love open source software! I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip! I do like EA though, since it has the full software engineering stack, from requirements to code generation to reverse engineering to system simulation, plus integration with a lot of other 3rd party tools (some free, some not). It also supports code generation and reverse engineering for a lot of programming languages including C/C++, Java, Javascript, Python, PHP, VB, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Unfortunately, BoUML is not available for downloading at this point in time (since 12/2011)... Hopefully that will change soon. So, effectively it is no longer available from the source. If you have other locations it can be downloaded from, I'd love to check it out.

Linux User
    I guess it depends on what you want UML modeling for? Do you want to audit an existing code base, or generate code from UML?

As for the graphical presentation of the object graph, this can be done by tools like Modelio or Dia, both of which use GTK+ for the GUI so works well with Xfce. Modelio is probably the more professional of the two, and it can generate Java code from the UML diagram, whereas Dia probably needs an extension in order to do that.

The second part is the "compiler" if you can call it that, that parses out the C or C++ or Java or whatever, and converts that into the UML you need. I know of any open source tools that do this apart from Eclipse. Although, Modelio lets you do scripting with Jython, and Dia lets you do scripting with Python, so if you can Google for some Python library to parse out C code, you may be able to fiddle with it until it produces UML diagrams for Dia or Modelio (if it is a C source base you are trying to audit).