Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I am compiling a program that relys on some libraries. They are all installed. a ./configure runs through ok and creates the make files. However make comes up with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compiling error help please

So I am compiling a program that relys on some libraries. They are all installed. a ./configure runs through ok and creates the make files. However make comes up with this error and halts:

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/noob/Downloads/agent2d-3.1.0/src'
    g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I../src -I../src/chain_action -I/usr/include -I/usr/local/include/rcsc/include -W -Wall -g -O2 -MT sample_player-actgen_direct_pass.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/sample_player-actgen_direct_pass.Tpo -c -o sample_player-actgen_direct_pass.o `test -f 'chain_action/actgen_direct_pass.cpp' || echo './'`chain_action/actgen_direct_pass.cpp
    chain_action/actgen_direct_pass.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void ActGen_DirectPass::generate(std::vector<ActionStat ePair>*, const PredictState&, const rcsc::WorldModel&, const std::vector<ActionStatePair>&) const’:
    chain_action/actgen_direct_pass.cpp:218:29: error: uninitialised const ‘pass_check’ [-fpermissive]
    chain_action/simple_pass_checker.h:32:7: note: ‘const class SimplePassChecker’ has no user-provided default constructor
    chain_action/actgen_direct_pass.cpp: At global scope:
    chain_action/actgen_direct_pass.cpp:53:21: warning: ‘SAME_PASSER_POS_THRESHOLD2’ defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
    make[2]: *** [sample_player-actgen_direct_pass.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/noob/Downloads/agent2d-3.1.0/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/noob/Downloads/agent2d-3.1.0'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

now in the readme it says you can set the directory for the library manually, so I try this and I get the same error. Does anyone possibly know what's going on here?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What version of g++ are you running? The error message indicates that you need to add the -fpermissive flag for the code that generated the error to succeed. Either that or you need to go into the code and initialize it yourself. I've had problems like this when building some kernel versions in that some uninitialized variables were being read before they had any value assigned to them. I had to go into the appropriate kernel modules and modify the source code appropriately. After a couple of kernel updates, the problem went away (fixed by the maintainers I suspect).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    What version of g++ are you running? The error message indicates that you need to add the -fpermissive flag for the code that generated the error to succeed. Either that or you need to go into the code and initialize it yourself. I've had problems like this when building some kernel versions in that some uninitialized variables were being read before they had any value assigned to them. I had to go into the appropriate kernel modules and modify the source code appropriately. After a couple of kernel updates, the problem went away (fixed by the maintainers I suspect).
    Thanks for your quick and helpful reply. ./configure CXXFLAGS="-fpermissive" fixed a very frustrating problem

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Glad to hear I could help. My guess is that you are running a very recent version of the compiler suite, such as 4.6.1?

Just Joined!
    Yes sir, 4.6.1 indeed!

Going with the bleeding edge in technology (hardware or software) sometimes means that you too will bleed! Anyway, glad to help.