Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I was happy with my Scientific linux 6 and her version of gimp. Until my kids started to want more... They say the new version of blender and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting new software for family in an open and secure way

Hi all,
    I was happy with my Scientific linux 6 and her version of gimp. Until my kids started to want more... They say the new version of blender and gimp are really "cool"
    We only have one computer at home and only that RHEL Clone on it. So here is my problem :
    I don't want a multi OS or VM, i want to keep SL6, i like it's stability and security.
    I would like for my family to allow them use their programm in their latest versions but without breaking anything.
    I searched the net. Found 0install, that allow to run programmes on any platform without root privilege, giving both latest programmes and stability in multiuser world. But... they don't have the latest blender and gimp
    I've read that some compile option produce .so files that allow to have different versions of a library. I'm no expert, but looks like my old gnome and the latest gimp are using different versions. Same for python for blender.
    How can i do to get those programmes to run on my SL6 in user mode as "stand alone" applications (don't want to put their unstable libs and code in my system !) ?
    My son told me some big companies like Dreamworks use RHEL. And they have the latest tools for their graphiste. So it must be possible. And i'm sure their computer are stable and secure.
    Thank you.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    SL6 is what I use. It is stable, and reasonably up-to-date, except for some stuff like what your kids want. In these cases, since the SL and other supported repositories (epel, rpmforge, etc) won't provide the latest and greatest versions of such tools, you will need to build them from source. Not impossible, but not always simple. So, step one is to download the source code. Step 2 is to configure it. Step 3 is to build it. And step 4 is to install it. You may, or may not, be successful in this endeavor...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    thanks for your answer Rubberman,
    But actually, my question was more about how to do it (compile from source), without replacing any libs. Those tools they want are using different python and gtk ... I thought i can make do some static buids to run them in user mode. I don't trust those sources, and i don't want to put anything in the system.
    I know they build for FreeBSD too, wich has old gnome and python too. So it must be feasable. But how ?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Most of the time, a source package's configure script will set the PREFIX variable to /usr/local as a default, instead of /usr, so libraries will go into /usr/local/lib, executables into /usr/local/bin, config files in possibly /usr/local/etc or somewhere else in /usr/local. Then there is no conflict. If you want to run an application out of /usr/local/bin and the libraries are in /usr/local/lib, then you can set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to point there first. I do this quite frequently when I am running new code to test out, or something that is going to conflict with standard libraries in /usr/lib.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hi Rubberman,
    Thanks for your reply, i'm not at home ATM but i'll try it as soon as possible. Sounds like what i was looking for
    Thanks a lot