Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I'm looking for a videoconference software. I know that Skype and Ekiga are the most used, but I need one that can be used without account registration needed. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Simple videoconference software

Hi

I'm looking for a videoconference software. I know that Skype and Ekiga are the most used, but I need one that can be used without account registration needed.

I mean, I need to be able to communicate 2 computers in a LAN by means of their IP adresses, with no login.

I hope to have been clear enough.

Thanks a lot!!!!

Linux User
    I am using Ubuntu Linux, which has the Gnome "Empathy" client installed by default.

Empathy will ask you to configure an account with some online provider (Jabber, Facebook, Google Chat, IRC, etc) however you do not need an account. Configure your "personal information" so that your account is defined as simply "people nearby", this will instruct the Empathy client to announce it presence to other Empathy clients in your local network's multicast domain.

Configure all Empathy clients in the same way. Then, all computers running an Empathy client on the same local network will be able to "see" each other using multicast, and you will be able to start a chat with any of them.

Unfortunately, video chat with the "people nearby" mode is not yet supported. However, you can still transfer files and transmit instant messages easily, without any need for setting up SSH and special guest login accounts between all computers.

Linux User
    I forgot to mention, if you use Google Chat, or some other service with video chat capabilities, you can use empathy as a native client to do video conferencing, but it is not a "direct" connection between machines on your local network.

Just Joined!
    onfigure all Empathy clients in the same way. Then, all computers running an Empathy client on the same local network will be able to "see" each other using multicast, and you will be able to start a chat with any of them.