Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I just installed Ubuntu 11.10 and I spent today restoring files from my back ups (from windows 7). I game quite a bit so I'm wondering a few things. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help a Newbie with several Programs

So I just installed Ubuntu 11.10 and I spent today restoring files from my back ups (from windows 7). I game quite a bit so I'm wondering a few things. First I will list the programs that I used frequently with windows. I would like to know if it's reasonable for me to try and get them or an equivalent program working or if I should just go back to Windows.
    Code:
    CCleaner (apparently not needed)
    Core Temp (my laptop tends to have a problem with heat)
    Defraggler (also not needed apparently)
    7zip (I got the ubuntu version from the software center)
    Morrowind (can apparently run trhough WINE although I have not tested yet)
    Oblivion (same as morrowind)
    (The following are the mods I had installed, if I need to I can manually copy over the files from another computer)
    -UOP
    -Oblivion Citadel Door
    -Shivering Isles
    -USI PatchOmod
    -Vile Lair
    -Mehrunes Razor
    -Thieves den
    -Battlehorn
    -Frostcrag
    -Knights of the Nine
    -Unkillabel Master Trainers
    -Custom Spells
    (I'm not sure if Oblivion Mod manager works or if I there is an equivalant program)
    -Omod Color Map 1.1
    -OMOD Darnified UI
    -OMOD Qarl TP3 Full 1.3
    -OMOD UOP mods patch v15
    Daemon Tools (or some other virtual disc drive)
    Launchy (installed and working)
    Libre Office (comes default)
    Fable TLC (yet to test but should work with wine)
    Steam*
    -Borderlands
    -Crysis
    -Crysis 2
    -Crysis Warhead
    -Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    -Realm of the Mad God
    -Skyrim
    -Splinter Cell Conviction
    -Half Life 2
    -Half Life 2: Lost Coast
    VLC (installed and working)
    Minecraft (installed and working)
    ISO Burner (or some equivalent disc burner)
    *Steam is... where I probably will need the most help, the rest I can probably figure out as I need to

So with steam I ran into a few problems which is what I spent the last few hours trying to figure out.

I downloaded the steam installer.msi from steampowered and that ran and installed. I then found winetricks and found installing steam under install apps there. So I'm unsure if that is more stable or just a convenient place to find the .msi. Then I tried to install Borderlands. I did so through steam and it downloaded all the data then when I tried to play it says that it cannot connect to my cloud saves and then if I click OK it says that it can't start right now (sorry I can't remember the exact phrasing of the error) I then deleted it to try and install steam through winetricks and then borderlands. It installed steam a second time (not sure if it just overwrote the old one or put it somewhere else) Then went to winetricks to install borderlands (steam specific) and it started installing steam again. that's when I said screw it I'll ask for help.

TLDR: I'm a newbie struggling to install many windows specific programs through wine, should I just go back to windows or can someone help me?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    1. Core Temp - install the lm_sensors package, and you will be able to monitor RAM and CPU temperature.
    2. Defraggler - not needed.
    3. 7zip - as you know, it is available for Linux. On Red Hat distributions, it is the p7zip package in the epel repository.
    4. Games - some will run ok on Wine (see WineHQ - Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD, Solaris and Mac OS X for details), others not. Some that won't run on Wine will run ok in a Windows virtual machine, some won't.
    5. Daemon Tools (virtual disc drive) - do you mean for mounting disc images (iso files, etc) on the system? Linux has a loop driver that lets you easily do that.
    6. ISO burner - there are a number of GUI tools, most of which use command-line tools under the covers. In any case, I use both Brasero and K3b. I prefer K3b because it gives me better control over buffer settings, disc write speeds, etc.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Not surprisingly, Linux and Microsoft have equivalent applications. It is simply a matter of getting familiar with the new system. The only reason I can think of for wanting any MS application on a GNU-Linux system is to play games, which can usually be done with Wine. If games are important to you, you could always try dual-booting, with GNU-Linux as the main system and MS for games. However, if the primary use of the computer is to play games, Microsoft is the best option. That consideration will help you decide if you
    should ... just go back to windows
    If you decide to stay with GNU-Linux, be prepared to read a little, both to understand your system and learn how to do things you would never be able to do with MS. One road is easy. The other is harder and longer, but very rewarding.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    A list of Linux equivalents to many Windows applications can be found at linuxlinks.com/article/20070701111340544/Equivalents.html
    and you can find some good help for Ubuntu as well at
    help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsApplicationsEquivalents

I'm not able to post links yet, so put your www dot in front of those