Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am trying to learn how to compile from source and having some trouble figuring it out. Hopefully one of you can help steer me in the right direction. Here ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Need help compiling emacs from source

I am trying to learn how to compile from source and having some trouble figuring it out. Hopefully one of you can help steer me in the right direction. Here is what I have done on my Ubuntu 32 bit 11.04 minimal installationownloaded emacs-23.4.tar.gz to ~/home/tod/Compile/ - then from that directory ran the following commands:tar -zxvf emacs-23.4.tar.gz./configuresudo make - last line was make: *** [src] Error 2sudo make install - same last line as aboveAfter everything was finished I could not find where it may have installed.whereis emacs returns just "emacs:"Any help?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesTdog View Post
    I am trying to learn how to compile from source and having some trouble figuring it out. Hopefully one of you can help steer me in the right direction. Here is what I have done on my Ubuntu 32 bit 11.04 minimal installationownloaded emacs-23.4.tar.gz to ~/home/tod/Compile/ - then from that directory ran the following commands:tar -zxvf emacs-23.4.tar.gz./configuresudo make - last line was make: *** [src] Error 2sudo make install - same last line as aboveAfter everything was finished I could not find where it may have installed.whereis emacs returns just "emacs:"Any help?
    Code:
    make: *** [src] Error 2
    The error 2 indicates the make script failed. Did the ./configure step complete with no errors?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

I ran ./configure again to confirm and I don't see any errors. Everything flies by the screen pretty quickly but I didn't see anything concerning and the final page of the process all looks to be in order. All the questions : does Emacs use -**** all end in no. All the config.status: creating xxxx/makefile all appear to have completed successfully. The final line is creating src/Makefile.

To compile software, I've found it necessary to have kernel headers and other requirements installed.
    I think that to do this in Ubuntu, you need to do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Gave that a shot but didn't help. Here is a bit more info on the error code:
    make[1]: Entering directory /home/tod/Compile/emacs-23.4/lib-src
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target '/usr/lib/crt1.0', needed by 'temacs'. Stop.
    make[1]: leaving directory
    make: *** [src] Error 2

Maybe that helps more?

hoping not to make things worse, I did come across something that looked familiar:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Ran all those above but everything was already up to date, so no change.

Well, with a little more research I see a variety of the same error report online as well as some bug reports but haven't been able to figure out the fix. Maybe I will try compiling something different...

Any suggestions on other programs to install to practice compiling from source? Vi and nano are already installed.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It looks like you need to apply a patch see here
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

I saw the patch yesterday, but I have no idea what to do with it or how to apply it. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if this was the right strategy or not, but I simply deleted all of the files that were created when I extracted the tarball, so I will need to start from scratch. (no big deal) I tried the same process with an older version of emacs and had the same results. I have no idea if the multiple failed "make and make installs" installed files elsewhere that I should be concerned about. Feeling like I am in a bit over my head...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast