Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I've been running my Linux Server for about a week now, and i'm pretty satisfied with it. It's running a x64 Debian without GUI. Now i want to manage ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SSH configuration

Hello,

I've been running my Linux Server for about a week now, and i'm pretty satisfied with it. It's running a x64 Debian without GUI.

Now i want to manage my server remotely (from internet) and i want to do that with SSH.
    The only problem is, SSH works on port 22 (?) and i can't forward any port between 0 and 1023 (damn you ISP) So i want to change te port the Deamon listens to but i don't know where i need to do that.

I'm not sure but i think it's using Squeeze.

Erates

Just Joined!
    Under /etc/ssh/sshd_config edit the line which says Port 22 and put in your value. You would also need to put a firewall rule allowing access to this port

lego

Just Joined!
    And how do i enter that firewall rule?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    If you don't know, then you don't need to, as you are not using a firewall.
    If you were, you would know, because you would have had to set it up.

Also, if this is on a home connection behind a NAT router, simply forward a random higher port to 22 on the local server, no need to mess with the sshd config.

Just Joined!
    I am behind a NAT Router, but the problem is, The ISP provides the modem/router and i need to configure it via the site of the ISP. And it does note allow the well know ports (0-1023) to be forwarded so i need to replace it to a port like 2000 or something.

Thanks for the help!! I'll check later today if this helps. I cannot reach the server right now (that's why i posted this tread )

Just Joined!
    Can you not pick the port on the internal machine that external 2000 is forwarded to?