Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I started using Linux again because me and my friends wanted to host a Minecraft server. After finding a sponsor, I configured and installed the Minecraft server, which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Running java application - unable to detach screen

Hello everyone,

I started using Linux again because me and my friends wanted to host a Minecraft server. After finding a sponsor, I configured and installed the Minecraft server, which is a java application.

I start the server with this command:
    java -Xms1G -Xmx1G -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui

After this, the server starts without a problem. I get into a console, where I can save, quit the server, ban players, etc. This console is run in the screen application. When I close Putty now, so does the Minecraft server. I need to find a way to detach the screen.

After some googling, I found that I this is done by using Ctrl+A and then D to detach. For some reason, this does NOT work in my case. It just shows up as ^Ad. Ctrl+D shows up as plain text, ^D in my console. I cannot exit the console, nothing happens.

Any solutions to this problem? Thanks in advance!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It sounds like a problem with the terminal emulation selection in puTTY. Try this to see if it helps.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    I followed the steps on the web page. It didn't work

The strange thing is when I type Ctrl + Z, the screen gets 'suspended'. So in some cases, the server does recognize my Control key...

Any other suggestions?

Just Joined!
    Mea culpa, mea culpa.

Apparently, I still am a long way from being able to work with linux decently. I thought (and so did the only setup tutorials!) the server software opened a screen on their own! Seems like it doesn't, and it just opens in the main window, no wonder I was able to detach it ... I found some commands to open the screen manually, and detach it later.

For anyone finding this topic later, and having the same problem as I have. After installing your server, start it like this:
    screen -dmS minecraft -t minecraft // Open a screen named 'Minecraft'
    screen -r minecraft // Enter the screen named 'Minecraft'
    java -Xms2048M -Xmx2048M -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui // Starts the server in that screen
    CTRL + A, then D // Detaches the screen
    After detaching the screen, you can log out of your shell. The server will continue running. When you want to open your server console again when you login the next day:

screen -r minecraft
    Ctrl+A then D to detach again
    Simon