Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have 23 audio cassette tapes on learning Spanish that I bought 25 years ago, and never got around to listening to all the tapes. I came across them in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to copy audio cassette tapes to CD or DVD

I have 23 audio cassette tapes on learning Spanish that I bought 25 years ago, and never got around to listening to all the tapes. I came across them in my closet and decided I wanted to try and learn Spanish again, but would like to transfer them to CD, or better yet, DVD. I'm not an audio person, but as I understand it, I need to get a 3 1/2 mm stereo y cable, and use that to copy to my computer, then burn to CD or DVD. What program should I use, and do I need to burn to a music cd, or can I burn to a regular cd or DVD? Thanks for the advice.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Hi there.
    I did a few with Audacity. Plug output from player to Computer's line input, set Audacity to record from line (defaults to mic), play cassettes and click record in Audacity.
    When complete export the recorded file or files from Audacity into the format you prefer (mp3, ogg etc).
    Most modern players including those in cars can play mp3s so yoou can copy the mp3 files direct to cd and play them. If not create an audio cd.
    Pete

Thanks for the info. The only casette player I have that has any kind of jack, is one with a headphone jack. Since these are instructional tapes, I guess the sound quality wil be ok.
    Registered Linux user #526930

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close