Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rubberman
Hi guys, So there are plenty of media players and such that will provide visualization for music and sound. What I'm looking for though, is a way to have visualization ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Any good music/sound visualization software for soundcard?

Hi guys,

So there are plenty of media players and such that will provide visualization for music and sound.

What I'm looking for though, is a way to have visualization for any sound coming through my system or soundcard, whether I am listening to Pandora, a Youtube playlist, or something else.

Does anyone know of a linux application that can do this?

Thanks!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Most Linux media players have sound visualization capabilities. I don't use them myself, but I have seen them work when futzing around with the players, such as mplayer, vlc, kaffeine, et al.
    supernerd likes this.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Most Linux media players have sound visualization capabilities. I don't use them myself, but I have seen them work when futzing around with the players, such as mplayer, vlc, kaffeine, et al.

Thanks Rubberman. While I'm aware that most media players have sound visualization, I'm not sure you can apply it to any audio stream running through your system. I think its only what you can play in the media player, but I will have to research this more.

Anyway, for anyone reading this, I found an pretty cool app called projectM for *nix OSs that provides visualization for any pulseaudio or jackaudio stream running through your system. It's neat but the only problem is it seems to have some bug, possibly a memory leak, that either crashes it after a few minutes or causes it to take over all 8 gigs of my ram and cause my system to start swapping. So until they fix this, or I figure out a way to prevent it, I am still looking for other ways of doing this. I will edit in an update if I figure something out.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    VLC has support for projectM. Unfortunately, on my system, when I select that from the visualizations menu in VLC, it causes VLC to crash/exit... I did check, and the projectM library has been installed on the system (version 2.0.1).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!