Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I know my title looks detrimental but I can assure you it's not. I want to crack a password from a PDF file, the salary flier received monthly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    srj

brute force password breaker

Hello everyone,

I know my title looks detrimental but I can assure you it's not. I want to crack a password from a PDF file, the salary flier received monthly from work.

The password is 9 characters long and I already know 5 of them while the missing four are numbers.

**xxxxx**

so there are only 10^4 possible chances and I'm looking for a brute force password cracker to generate and type them for me.

I searched the internet but was unable to find anything using google due to too many stupid other applications with the word password.

Thank you,
    Last edited by srj; 05-11-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by srj View Post
    Hello everyone,

I know my title looks detrimental but I can assure you it's not. I want to crack a password from a PDF file, the salary flier received monthly from work.<snip>
    Yeah, that doesn't look detrimental at all...

What do you want to do with this file after you cracked it?

srj
    This is the salary flier where I can find details about my salary, all the taxes, raises and everything from my paycheck.

We all got a password but I forgot mine for the second time. First I had it reset at the HR department but now I can't go there anymore cause it's the second time I lost it and they told me not to. At least I can remember 5 characters this time

I need to view it after I crack it to see exactly how much money I earned this month.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    That's insane. Firstly I find it real strange that your salary sheet is password protected just to view. Password protect it to prevent editing, okay. Maybe it is common in Bucharest, but here it is not.

Anyway, I'd think although you forgot your password, that HR dep is still obliged to give you the password again (and this time save it in KeepassX or something like that).

And, there are linux pdf crackers out there. I Google and first result is a hit... you are not looking with the right keywords.

srj
    Those were pdf password removal that can remove a password once you know it.

This file is password protected because it contains confidential information spread across the network. I find this pretty normal and you couldn't edit a pdf file in the first place. I know the HR department is obliged but I really would like to skip that if possible.

Anyway, this is really off topic for this thread. I only asked if anyone knows a Linux software that can generate automatically 10.000* possible characters for my forgotten password.

*The missing characters are numbers.

Just Joined!
    Ah, my salary sheet is protected behind a login on a secure site.

You think it is offtopic, but I think ethics are not offtopic. You say that salary sheets are found across the network. So if you succeed in cracking your own sheet, you can potentially crack the salary sheets of others. So there is a good reason for these passwords and you shouldn't be cracking them, not even your own.

So I hope you'll use freely available tools just and wisely!

No you are still using the wrong keywords in Google. Fill in these keywords in Google:

crack pdf password remover

The first result is a hit (Techblissonline). On that website you can click to the Linux version: pdfcrack on sourceforge.
    Last edited by LibraOne; 05-11-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: typo

srj
    Yes, I was just looking on that webiste now.

The sheets are not found on a shared environment but are sent through an e-mail every month.

I really think I can succeed in cracking my password because I know the 5 main characters and that leaves me a few possible combinations left.
    Without them, the password could only be found in 62^9 (without the special characters) possible combinations. That's a number I can't even pronounce and I don't think that software could do it.

Anyway, thank you for the suggestion, I will give it a go today.

Just Joined!
    I don't know if this tool gives you the option of filling in pre-known characters. Good luck!
    Last edited by LibraOne; 05-11-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: typo

srj
    I was looking at the screenshot and the command used also specified the characters 'to be used'.. (it was the entire alphabet) so this might be exactly what I need .

Thanks again,