Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rubberman
I want use AWS ec2 Cloud Computing on Xubuntu 12.04 as an alternative when I need a Windows 7 for software that Wine doesn't support. So I learned how to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

usb over ip question

I want use AWS ec2 Cloud Computing on Xubuntu 12.04 as an alternative when I need a Windows 7 for software that Wine doesn't support.

So I learned how to set it up with a Terminal Client Server I installed via Ubuntu Software Center.

As a test I decided to download iTunes.

However I found an issue. The Terminal Client Viewer doesn't connect natively to USB devices such as an iPod.

I searched and googled "USB over IP" and found several alternatives, some are supposedly free via GNU.

Question:

Does anyone know how to connect an AWS ec2 virtual Windows 7 desktop with iTunes and an iPod?

Are there any suggested virtual desktops anyone can recommend?

Can a virtual desktop connect to outside usb devices such as an external storage hardrive or android smartphone or tablet or an iphone, ipod or ipad?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Running a VM under an EC2 VM? Well, if they let you run Virtual Box as the VMM, then you might be able to connect to a USB device; however, since this is at least 2 or 3 levels of indirection from the physical device to the system software, I doubt it.
    animaguy likes this.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. I have decided to abandon the idea. I have found other work arounds to suit my needs.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by animaguy View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I have decided to abandon the idea. I have found other work arounds to suit my needs.
    Care to elaborate?

Just Joined!
    The reason why I wanted to connect to an itouch and iphone is because I own the two devices and so that I can use those devices to view tutorial videos on the bus and during down time at work. At first I thought it was necessary to have a direct connection to itunes in order to load videos, music and podcasts. But I have a 32gb android that I am currently using.

I really don't want to waste anymore research time on this subject. It is too inefficient for now.

Ok. You should be able to connect the ipod touch or iphone to the usb on your linux system and transfer audio and video files to it, treating it like a disc drive. You may have to convert them to a compatible format first, but ffmpeg and other tools on linux will deal with that very easily.