Find the answer to your Linux question:
A few days ago i tried to install Mplayer.But it told me we are not support gcc 2.96 i skip the gcc check (altough there waswarninigs) and installed the apllication.Of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

gcc upgrade?

A few days ago i tried to install Mplayer.But it told me we are not support gcc 2.96

i skip the gcc check (altough there waswarninigs) and installed the apllication.Of course lots of errors occured..and i have a couple of questions.
    1. how can i uninstall mplayer.there is no such a file whose name is uninstall.i compiled it.it was not a rpm file.
    2. how can i upgrade my gcc to gcc 3.xx or something like this..
    i found some installation files but there is so much file..should i have first remove my older gcc.you know it is a little bit risky
    the address:
    http://mirrors.rcn.net/pub/sourcewar...eases/gcc-3.3/

i use Redhat 7.3
    Just a Newbie....Looking 4 Info....

Linux Engineer
    What version of Mplayer is this? I use gcc2.95 to install mine without any problems. Regardless, you can upgrade your gcc via RPM.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux User
    "rpm -U <gcc-package-name>" should upgrade your gcc to the
    version you want.

Linux Guru
    Do a "make uninstall" in the source directory to uninstall it. I'm not sure that it works, but it does with some packages. And if it doesn't, simply don't uninstall it. Just download gcc 3.x, or downgrade to gcc 2.95, recompile it (don't forget to make clean), and install over the old compilation. Download a new gcc RPM from http://rpmfind.net/.

bpark, I don't know if you know it, but gcc 2.96 isn't a real release of gcc. It's RedHat's old "extra special" gcc release, that is full of bugs and all kinds of things. You don't want to use it for anything, really. Officially, gcc went from 2.95 to 3.0. That's why your 2.95 version works perfectly well.

Linux Engineer
    Point taken.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Newbie
    Thx for the replies, i ll try the suggestions.By the way, Dolda thx for informing us about gcc 2.96..
    Just a Newbie....Looking 4 Info....