Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone! I was thinking about buying a netbook for exclusive Linux use, and then I've saw the Asus T101MT, which is a tablet-convertible touchscreen netbook and, according to linlap, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Touchscreen and manual writing

Hi everyone! I was thinking about buying a netbook for exclusive Linux use, and then I've saw the Asus T101MT, which is a tablet-convertible touchscreen netbook and, according to linlap, it's Linux-compatible.

Now, I only have one question: is there an application I can use for taking notes writing manually with my own hands and calligraphy on the screen, just like *ugh* Windows Journal for the *bleah* Microsoft OS?

Edit: I lied, I've got another one: which distro you think it's better for touchscreen support (which one has the best compatibility and interactivity, like being able to switch desktop with touchscreen, or rotate the screen, and things like that)? Or do all distros have available every action ever performable with a touchscreen, thanks to latest Linux kernels?
    Last edited by HisDudeness; 06-25-2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Second question

I don't know about your model, but I have an older model with Lubuntu on it that works fine. I my model there is no accelerometer, so you have to toggle the screen to switch orientation. Everything works fine, but the onscreen keyboard is a PITA to use for more than the briefest msgs. I bought a usb keyboard and mouse for when I want to really do anything on it, also an external dvd/cd writer.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Thanks for the reply! If that's the only problem you have, the one I'm talking about is not a tablet, but a touchscreen netbook in which you can rotate the screen 180 and place it over the keyboard to turn it into a tablet, so there shall be no problem at all.

So, if it works with Lubuntu it will obviously work with Ubuntu and every desktop environment version of it, I guess. More in general, can someone more expert than me tell me if it depends only on the kernel, and so every distro will be 100% touch, or if the operative system must implement and configure it, and in that case how are the main distros about it (Debian, Fedora, Mint, Arch, openSuse, Mandriva...)?

And for the first question, does anybody know about a hand-writng note-taking Linux software?
    Last edited by HisDudeness; 06-26-2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Minor adjustments