Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hullo all. I have visited several forums with (so far) no answer to my query. I hope to go to work for a company that weill have me authoring solution ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Converting LaTeX/MathType into an editable doc file

Hullo all.

I have visited several forums with (so far) no answer to my query. I hope to go to work for a company that weill have me authoring solution manuals, and solutions (some of which may appear on sites like Cramster) for math textbooks.

Here is the issue: I am using Lubuntu 12.04 and cannot currently afford ANY software that costs me money - as currently I am unemployed. Additionally, I would rather not mess around with ANY windows software UNLESS I have to (under wine).

So, this company needs my math equations for the solutions type int MathType (or LaTeX converted into MathType). I have installed (via wine) a trial version of MathType, and so far have not had much trouble converting TeX code into MathType code. However, the end result (according to my contact from the company, Ryan) needs to be in MathType and the equations and text need to be in a MS Word 1997-2003 format.

I cannot currently accomplish this because I know of no way using open source software to take a MathType equation and embed it into a doc format - given that this company explicitly wants to be able to take any of my solutions and edit the 'MathType' equation parts (I suppose for error correction).

So - my apologies for the length - but I wanted to be as thorough as I had to. Please help, because I think I would like this job and am currently unemployed and need any job I can get as well, and this is in my field (I shall complete my BS in Maths by the first week of August). Thanks again,

-Michael D

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    There are several packages you can install to do this. One is latex2html and latex2rtf. With the latex2rtf converter, you can plug that into Libre/OpenOffice and convert it to an odf format easily enough.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    So with the latex2rtf I could convert latex into rtf then how would i convert the rtf into a doc format and would the resulting file have the property that anyone from this company presumably using MathType and MS Word only would be able to view said document and edit the math equations? I am just so new to having to do all of this converting, so please forgive my ignorance. Also, where can I download latex2rtf? Thanks again.
    -MD

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    LibreOffice can handle rtf and doc formats just fine. I don't know, but I expect that the math will display ok in LO; however, not having tried it I can't say for sure. In any case, the only cost to you to get these tools is a bit of bandwidth and disc space...

Just Joined!
    When I tried that I lost a lot of the notation (ie tried latex2rtf and then opened the resulting file int LibreOffice). Is there anything I can do to rectify that? Thanks.

Don't know if this will help: TexMaths — LibreOffice Extensions

There are a number of latex extensions for LibreOffice that may suit you better than trying to convert the data. IE, you can import the Latex directly into LO and then save your work as an odf file.