Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have a setup for some users to land in chroot jail (/home/jail) when they log in. Overall everything is working fine, however I have noticed that vim ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Limited vim colour syntax in chroot jail

Hi all,

I have a setup for some users to land in chroot jail (/home/jail) when they log in. Overall everything is working fine, however I have noticed that vim suffers with a limited colourscheme compared to that of non-chrooted users, and thought I'd put the question to you fine people in case someone knows how to resolve it easily!

I have attached screenshots to show the difference between the displays for jailed vs non-jailed users. The .vimrc files for each of these users are identical, so I won't trouble you with the content unless you ask for it; I'm guessing the problem is with terminal capabilities to display the requisite colours correctly, rather than with vim's configuration.

I have already copied over the following into /home/jail:

/usr/bin/xterm
    /usr/bin/vim
    /usr/lib/libncurses*
    /usr/lib64/libncurses*
    /usr/share/vim/*
    /usr/share/terminfo/*
    /usr/bin/perl
    /usr/lib/perl5

... plus assorted others.

Is anyone familiar with what might cause either vim or the terminal itself to limit the colour scheme? Are there any logfiles that might point me in the right direction? Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

SuaSwe
    Attached Images Attached Images