Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to get virtualbox to work and having problems installing the OS. I have Debian Mint, and the virtual OS was going to be XP. I was going ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

noob needs help with Virtualbox

I am trying to get virtualbox to work and having problems installing the OS. I have Debian Mint, and the virtual OS was going to be XP. I was going to install it from a VHD file. I downloaded the file, but am unable to extract it, It tells me that it is not a supported file type. With out extracting the file I am unable to move it from the temp files, and unable to install it on my virtual machine. Thank you for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Milburnt View Post
    ...going to be XP. I was going to install it from a VHD file.... It tells me that it is not a supported file type.
    Why don't you try installing it using a CD installer instead? It might give you better results.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    Why don't you try installing it using a CD installer instead? It might give you better results.
    I'm *assuming* the OP DL'ed an appliance. I.E. somebody else's preconfigured / spiffied up take on XP, or more commonly with MS stuff the appliances are built on free (demo, eval, RC, etc) releases that don't require a key to be valid.

To the OP: If you're using an appliance built on a freeware version of XP it will be severely crippled and you will not be able to get most updates for it. Also, be aware that such versions are often pre-release and full of bugs.

I can think of several possible senarios for helping you, but I need more information.

1) What format is the file currently in (VHD, rar, zip, etc)?
    2) What method did you use to download it that caused it to end up in your ./tmp directory with r/w permissions not associated with your user account rather than being DL'd to your Downloads directory?

A solution to your current problem may be found in the answers to either one of those questions.

However, please be aware that no version of XP will be supported with any updates of any kind past April 2014. So, depending on just exactly what you intend to use this VM for there may be better ways to "skin this cat".
    Last edited by Steven_G; 07-03-2012 at 07:55 PM.