Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Originally Posted by jayd512 /tmp is a sub-directory in the / system directory. It's already there in any Linux type system. Do ls / and you'll see it there. Making ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    /tmp is a sub-directory in the / system directory. It's already there in any Linux type system. Do ls / and you'll see it there.
    Making the /tmp/virus folder just makes for an easy to find destination for where Clam will move any infected files.

So if you have, for example, an infected mp3 file, it will be moved to /tmp/virus.
    From there, you can cd /tmp/virus to see what file it is. And remove it.
    so even though I am scanning my windows partition it will move the infected files to my dual booted ubuntu partition?

If you're using a LiveCD, you won't be using either of your installed OSs.
    You'll be using an OS that is decompressed from the CD, with its own complete filesystem.
    The new /tmp/virus directory will reside there until you power down the computer. It won't be located on either Windows or Ubuntu.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    If you're using a LiveCD, you won't be using either of your installed OSs.
    You'll be using an OS that is decompressed from the CD, with its own complete filesystem.
    The new /tmp/virus directory will reside there until you power down the computer. It won't be located on either Windows or Ubuntu.
    hm well when i use the cd it doesn't really give me an option to see the actual ubuntu OS. so maybe you could tell me how to access the filesystem of the liveboot. Because I know if I decide to actually make money off of this software by using it on other people's computer i will need to find the infected file and delete it somehow!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Okay, you have a prompt when you boot up. Right?
    If so, do ls /. You should have something similar to this:
    Code:
    $ ls /
    bin     etc   install   lib	  media  opt   proc  sbin  sys	usr
    boot  dev     home    lost+found  mnt	   root  srv   tmp	var
    That is your filesystem for the LiveCD. You are now accessing it.
    Any changes you make to those files or folders will be gone when you reboot. Just like running Ubuntu from a LiveCD. Creating a new file here will not be a permanent change, as it's not writing it to disc.

If you prefer, you could just do:
    Code:
    sudo clamscan -i -r --remove /
    to display only infected files, and remove them automatically.

TBH, that's probably the best way that I can explain it. I learned all I know about about Clam usage from doing a few web searches.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    ok thanks im running that now. But how would I access that specific infected file or see what it was and its path?

Just Joined!
    also all it said was, "the virus database is older than 7 days! Please update it as soon as possible" it didn't do anything else. I'm not sure if it really deleted the infected file.

Which set of commands are you running? This one:
    Code:
    sudo clamscan -i -r --remove /
    If so, the infected file will be displayed (it might show the path... can't remember). The --remove option will, well, remove it.
    You'll see what type of file it was (mp3, .exe, etc.), but it will already be removed. No way to actually access or analyze it.

That's why I prefer the other method... it gives me a chance to look at the files in question before deleting them.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    hm well since im not sure if the remove command worked i'm going to try the move command now. so how would i access the /tmp/virus after i moved it there?

Quote Originally Posted by linuxuser1232 View Post
    also all it said was, "the virus database is older than 7 days! Please update it as soon as possible" it didn't do anything else. I'm not sure if it really deleted the infected file.
    Did it just return to a prompt after that? If so, then it didn't run the actual scan. You need to update your virus definitions with:
    Code:
    sudo freshclam
    This is assuming that you have an active network connection on the computer in question.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by linuxuser1232 View Post
    so how would i access the /tmp/virus after i moved it there?
    Code:
    cd /tmp/virus
    ls -l               *that's a lower-case L, not a number one*
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast