Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
it actually won't update because of a main.cvd header error or something. Anyway I tried moving the infected file and it said no such file or directory as /tmp/virus...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

it actually won't update because of a main.cvd header error or something. Anyway I tried moving the infected file and it said no such file or directory as /tmp/virus

Quote Originally Posted by linuxuser1232 View Post
    it actually won't update because of a main.cvd header error or something.
    What version of ClamAV is this?
    Code:
    clamscan --version
    Anyway I tried moving the infected file and it said no such file or directory as /tmp/virus
    Because the command that you used doesn't move the files. It automatically removes them.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    i don't know a really old one. And no I used the move command you said earlier!

i don't know a really old one. And no I used the move command you said earlier!
    Okay. First things first, you'll want a newer version. Up-to-date is always better.

And for the move command, did you create the directory before starting the scan?
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /tmp/virus
    Then:
    Code:
    sudo clamscan -v -r --move /tmp/virus /
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    We'll my IT friend never said anything about a newer version. he said it is fine. Anyway, no i did not create a new directory but when i did
    Code:
     ls /
    it said there was already a tmp folder

We'll my IT friend never said anything about a newer version. he said it is fine. Anyway, no i did not create a new directory but when i did
    Code:
     ls /
    it said there was already a tmp folder
    Right... /tmp, but not /tmp/virus.
    If you like, these can be modified for your ease of use. That's a directory that I like to use. You can use the default /tmp if you like.
    Code:
    sudo clamscan -v -r --move /tmp /

My version is 0.97.3.
    Code:
    root@jason:~# clamscan --version
    ClamAV 0.97.3/15119/Sun Jul  8 17:59:06 2012
    Older versions may not have the same virus definitions, so may not catch newer malware. Just a word of caution.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    oh ok. and is this supposed to scan my files for viruses again cause that's what it's doing. That means another 4 hours...

yep... another waiting game. But if it makes you feel better, when I was first playing with Clam and its options, I used up a whole weekend.

As far as a newer version, though... here's a good option for you.
    PartedMagic
    Wonderful LiveCD full of recovery tools, partitioning programs... and ClamAV. I always keep a copy handy.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Ohhhh wow haha! Ya so in the future i should use this move command instead of just scanning it? Because with the commands that I was instructed with (I will post later) it just scans my Windows Vista disk(sda1) and then shows the Summary. With the move command will it scan and move my infected files to /tmp/virus?

Now ya got it! And by moving the infected files, you can see exactly what they are.
    So if you have a client, you can tell them what PDF or mpeg was the culprit.
    And you still get the Summary at the end of the whole thing.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast