Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By drl
In our laboratory,it is a server to do compute. the servers operating system is Fedora,and i found it have 8 CPU cores. when i want it to do compute,i found ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How can i use 8 cores to do compute in fedora!

In our laboratory,it is a server to do compute. the servers operating system is Fedora,and i found it have 8 CPU cores.
    when i want it to do compute,i found only one core is be used.so it will take me long time to wait the compute result.
    other detail about simulation soft is Crystal09.
    How can i use 8 cores to do compute?
    Thanks you read and advices!

Just Joined!
    Hi. Have you tried checking the CPU utilization of the core being used? You should not have any problem if the core is not fully utilized.

Just Joined!
    I have checking the CPU utilization of the core being used,it only one core being used.others is 0%.so i'm doubt it maybe the soft Crystal09 problem.but i am not sure!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I have checking the CPU utilization of the core being used,it only one core being used.others is 0%.so i'm doubt it maybe the soft Crystal09 problem.but i am not sure!

Just Joined!
    what I mean is, what is the utilization level of the core?is it reaching 100% If not, then you're right, the issue is with Crystal09. Maybe it's not designed to be multi-threaded. Or if it was, then it is not designed to run its threads on multiple cores.
    Last edited by ilesterg; 07-11-2012 at 07:29 AM.

Just Joined!
    Yeah,When it do compute,utilization level of one core is reaching 100%,others is almost 0%.Does mean that it's not designed to be multi-threaded in Crystal09 soft.Thanks you answer.

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

Quickly looking over the documentation, it appears that there are two versions of crystal9, one sequential, the other pchrystal:
    A README file explains step by step how to install and test CRYSTAL09
    basic Unix/Linux sequential executables (crystal).
    CRYSTAL09 - Parallel implementation
    Overview
    The parallel version of CRYSTAL uses a replicated data algorithm. Each host runs
    the same code and performs a number of independent tasks which are distributed at
    run time. One host is chosen as the master. The master host spawns the program
    onto other hosts (slaves) and operates dynamical load balancing of the task execution
    via a shared atomic counter.

-- excerpt from http://www.crystal.unito.it/Manuals/crystal09_P.pdf
    So if you are not using pcrystal, then perhaps you should investigate installing it for comparison.

It is not clear to me that this could run on a workstation -- it appears to be set up for a multi-machine situation. I did not look much farther into the documentation.

Some sophisticated compilers can generate multi-tasking code -- when I worked on Cray machines, some sections of code could be automatically parallelized by their compilers. However, if you are using the compiled version of crystal9, that may not be the case. I see that pcrystal requires Intel Fortran, so the authors appear to assume Intel/AMD CPUs.

See the links on the main page, primarily Documentation for CRYSTAL Users

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    wenlan likes this.
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )