Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
try "tar -zxvf filename.tar.gz" - if that still doesn't work, then it is possible that your download is corrupted. Verify the checksum (md5sum or sha1sum) with the checksum on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

try "tar -zxvf filename.tar.gz" - if that still doesn't work, then it is possible that your download is corrupted. Verify the checksum (md5sum or sha1sum) with the checksum on the web site for that package.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Nope. Now I get this:

tar (child): re-7u5-linux-i586.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

I redownloaded the package and still get the error above.

I ran "cksum jre-7u5-linux-i586.tar.gz" and got this back: "2259971205 34374469 jre-7u5-linux-i586.tar.gz" But I'm not sure how to find the checksum info to verify it.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Most packages these days use either md5sum or sha1sum, both of which should be on your system. Go to the download site and look for the md5 or sha1 files that should be there for you to use in order to verify that the download was successful.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2