Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't think I know what I'm doing when it comes to this. I'll have two operating systems, when I won't to delete the one and keep the other, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question about deleting partitions on hard drive?

I don't think I know what I'm doing when it comes to this. I'll have two operating systems, when I won't to delete the one and keep the other, I always get a "grub error" message and can't boot it. Why is this? I just delete the partition using Gparted.

Usually they're both Linux system, but I also have a Windows/Linux system to, hoping to delete that Linux partition for a newer one.

Just Joined!
    Normally grub will complain if you remove a partition but you did not remove the stuff from grub

oz
    forum.guy
    Yep, cpet is right on the money... you'll need to reconfigure GRUB after you've made changes to your partition layout because GRUB doesn't know about those changes automatically.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Yep, cpet is right on the money... you'll need to reconfigure GRUB after you've made changes to your partition layout because GRUB doesn't know about those changes automatically.
    How do I do that?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpghost6 View Post
    How do I do that?
    The best GRUB tutorials that I've run across are found at the following links (depending on the version of GRUB you are using):

GRUB bootloader - Full tutorial

GRUB 2 bootloader - Full tutorial

Your distribution probably has something about configuring GRUB on their wiki pages, as well.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpghost6 View Post
    I always get a "grub error" message and can't boot it.
    After you do your deleting, try running:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    This will force grub to update its lists of what OSs it knows about, and where they are or what drives.

Hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    After you delete a partition, you should first reboot into the Linux system you installed Grub from in the first place. Then, from that OS, you should update Grub:

sudo update-grub

If you are installing a new version of Linux in place of an existing one, just use the installer for the new Linux to handle partitioning. If the other OS on the computer is a Linux version using Grub2, you shouldn't need to let the new system's installer rewrite the Grub in the MBR, rather reboot into the OTHER Linux and run update-grub.

If the other OS which remains is Windows, do let the new Linux install Grub, and it will scan the disk and find both MS-Windows and Linux partitions, and set up Grub appropriately.

If it didn't boot, you need to reinstall Linux in a partition, and let the new Linux install and it should update Grub appropriately.

One thing you should not do (for Grub2) is to try to edit the files in /boot/grub. This is done by running update-grub. Manual changes in the grub config are done by editing /etc/default/grub and files in /etc/grub.d and then running update-grub.

I'm assuming this is GRUB2, not the 'legacy' GRUB.