Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm still not real familiar with IP Tables; not enough to manually edit any way. I'm looking for a GUI solution. I'm going to try Firewall Builder to build the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ISO outbound notifier

I'm still not real familiar with IP Tables; not enough to manually edit any way. I'm looking for a GUI solution. I'm going to try Firewall Builder to build the tables. It looks like it's propably the most user friendly. But, ISFAIK it doesn't announce outbound calls. I'm not worried about stuff "calling home" b/c I'm careful about what I install. But, working with GUFW I've had issues trying to set up stuff like P2P programs b/c it doesn't give a lot of information about the necessary outbound / inbound / return calls or loop backs. I'm sure that at least some of the printer issues I've had were b/c I had permissions set too tight and it was interfering with CUPS loop backs. I'm hoping that FWB will be user / noob friendly enough that I can build a good FW. But, I need some suggestions on a GUI that will lay out the info I need for installed apps config in explicit , (preferably) moronic detail so I can do a lot of copy / paste from A to B rather than having to bang my head against the wall and figure it out. I'll dig deeper as I go, right now I just want to get it working.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

You may want to try Firestarter, which is a GUI for Iptables. Pretty simple to install and use.

[Edit]

If you have any issues with Firestarter you may want to check out this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Firestarter
    Last edited by hagfish52; 08-04-2012 at 02:26 PM.

I've tried FS in the past and I didn't really have any issues with it. But it's been depreciated for ages. And, not only is it no longer supported I've also read that the mode it runs in can actually, potentially, open up security holes in your system. I don't mind using two separate apps, or even a command line tool. Is there a tool that will show me all the info on the attempted listen connections and loop backs that an app is trying to establish? If so then I can just copy / paste / allow.

Sorry, I don't know of one

Just Joined!
    I know you probably wont want to hear this but from your post you say your not familiar with iptables yet. Would this not be a good time to gain familiarity? Why not use that depreciated software as all it does is write the tables for you? Then read the output files and learn from those. Disable firestarter after that and run your own tables and add things or change things as necessary?

Just Joined!
    Also firewalld is replacing ipchains in fedora 18.