Find the answer to your Linux question:
My experience with Linux goes back maybe 15 years, beginning with RH. I have used that and Libranet (RIP), Debian, SUSE, and Arch, and taken looks at Slackware, Mandriva, Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hyperlinks in Emacs?

My experience with Linux goes back maybe 15 years, beginning with RH. I have used that and Libranet (RIP), Debian, SUSE, and Arch, and taken looks at Slackware, Mandriva, Linux Mint, etc. I use Linux as a tool, not a toy, so my knowledge of the OS is not wide or deep.

These days I use Fedora 17 to write and distribute a small-circulation newsletter. I compose the text in Emacs, mark it up in HTML5, and mail it as an attachment via Gmail. I use HTML5 so I can include hyperlinks to interesting and relevant items I find on the internet, and share that information.

The fuss over how the newsletter appears as it is viewed in various ways by the subscribers is turning out to be more complex than I care to deal with. Colors, fonts, margins, backgrounds -- phooey, you can't please everybody. I'm more at home in the CLI than the GUI. Accordingly, I have been wondering whether I might set up hyperlinks in Emacs without HTML markup and provide my few subscribers with issues they can read in their hand-held gizmos or in a browser -- all in plaintext with working hyperlinks.

A quick look at the Emacs manual convinced me the task is a lot simpler when done in HTML5. Am I correct? As much as I would like to dispense with the eye candy, I think my idea of hyperlinks in pure Emacs is going to put me on a steep learning curve...the project looks as if it calls for considerable regress before I can get it to work.

I'm also very set in my ways and unlikely to want to move to another text editor. Maybe there's a good HOWTO I have not found yet that would give me what I need for Emacs. Or maybe my idea is out to lunch.

Questions, observations and tips are welcome. TIA!

Trusted Penguin
    Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by hypertext in Emacs...and I can't. Are you looking for a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) HTML editor?

And I definitely don't see how you can have plain text with working hyperlinks: hyperlinks are the very definition of HTML. Thus, you must have <a> tags and a browser (or browser emulator), if you want linked text.

Just Joined!
    I was hoping that I could mail out plaintext that could allow readers to click (or otherwise activate) a word in the text that would function as a hyperlink -- all without using HTML. Some of what I came across in a quick survey of Emacs's capabilities seemed to suggest such magic might be possible. My feeling is I was way too optimistic!

I suppose I could send two messages, one with plaintext and the other in HTML with only hyperlinks. Clumsy, confusing. Or -- enclose numerous very short HTML documents, hyperlinks only, in the plaintext body? Wow. At this point, the scheme is going off the deep end, I would say.

It sure looks as if I'll carry on with HTML as before. Can't say I'm surprised.

Edit: I tried to post the URL where I found some Emacs info that looked promising, but I don't have permission to do that. It mentions clickable links in Emacs that are not in HTML. I was wondering whether, since in Linux everything is a file, it might be possible to link a word in Emacs to a file that is an internet connection to a URL. Oh, well.
    Last edited by Reynard; 08-23-2012 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Explanation

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    Do you mean this page?

Clickable Text - GNU Emacs Lisp Reference Manual

I'm not sure how this works exactly (you are working on text in a buffer or something), but I'm sure it can't produce plain text files with clickable text.

Just Joined!
    Yep. No surprises there!