Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have ubuntu 12 64bit installed , I want to make grub legacy boot usb...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question how to install grub legacy on usb

I have ubuntu 12 64bit installed , I want to make grub legacy boot usb

Linux Guru
    You need to clarify. Do you mean you want to replace Grub2 with Grub Legacy? Or do you want to make a usb/flash with Grub Legacy for a bootloader? For the second option, go to the site below, the section "to put Grub into a Partition". Gives a fairly detailed explanation. You will need to get the Grub Legacy files. I don't know if they are available in the Ubuntu repositories?

Just Joined!
    I want to make a grub legacy usb to boot my own kernel and program , I tried lots of method none worked,
    in ubuntu 64 , I dont have grub legacy files , if I write grub in my terminal , is the program open is grub legacy or grub 2 ? , also is grub bootloader is also 32bit and 64bit ver because my kernel and program is 64bit , do I need 64bit grub legacy ?

I also have win7 64bit and fedora 15 64bit , if ubuntu dnt have legacy files???

I have loader and rte-app I want to open this prog by grub legacy boot loader

in menu.lst

serial --unit=0 --speed=115200
    terminal --timeout=0 serial
    default=0
    timeout=2
    title RTE 0.1
    root (cd)
    kernel /boot/loader
    module /boot/rte-app -c f -n 3 -m 128

Linux Guru
    Fedora might have Grub Legacy. The last time I tested it there were Grub and Grub2 directories. If you boot the CD, look in either /usr/lib/grub or /lib/grub to see if they are there. You probably would be able to download Ubuntu Grub Legacy from their repositories/archives but I'm not sure. The Ubuntu forums would be a better source. Using 32 bit on 64 is OK, the reverse does not work. I would copy the Grub Legacy files to a /boot directory you create on the flash drive and then do the standard Grub Legacy installation commands.