Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just recently started playing with virtual box and vm's. I have installed FeeBSD. GhostBSD, and Koppix in virtual box. Problem is that none of the three can connect ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Virtual box can't find my internet connection

I have just recently started playing with virtual box and vm's. I have installed FeeBSD. GhostBSD, and Koppix in virtual box. Problem is that none of the three can connect to the internet through my USB wireless. In fact, they don't see any wireless networks at all, and report they are connected through wired connection, but when I try to connect it reports server not found. How do I connect in a virtual machine?
    Registered Linux user #526930

In trying to research this, I understand fastIII NAT is used. Open box shows the following info. Ghost and Knoppix show:Adapter 1:Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (NAT) and Mgeia shows:Adapter 1:PCnet-FAST III (NAT) Note FreeBSD was removed and Mageia 2 added from original post.

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

I use "bridged" for the network connections of the guests in both VMWare Server 2.x and VirtualBox 3.2.10_OSE r66523.

My recollection is that "NAT" did not work for me when I used that technique (by mistake). I use wired for all my guests, so that might differ from your situation.

The article on bridging at Bridging (networking) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia contains some information and pointers to other sources-- I hasten to add that I have not taken the time to understand why one works and the other does not.

Good luck ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    (very) short:
    - Nat: virtualbox provides a network to its VMs. This includes dhcp, dns and gateway. The connections are NATed with the IP of the host machine.
    - Bridge: The VM is in the same network as the host. So it relies on the same dns/gw/dhcp as the host.
    In your usecase, probably nat is the way to go.

Clarification: The VM doesnt even see, which kind of networkcard the host has.
    It only has its (para)virtualized devices, usually a virtual e1000 desktop or the like.

So if your host can use this wireless usb, then you should be good to go.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

"Should be good to go" is the stumbling block. All my online research says it just woris. Only problem is, it doesn't for me. At first I thought it was one particular distro, or the BSD I was trying to run, but none of them work. They say I am connected, but the browser can't find any site I put in. I guess I will just have to start expeimenting with settings other than the fast III NAT. What I don't understand though is that they all show connected to eth0, when I use wireless not wired connection. I am guessing that the software "sees" the host computer's wireless connection as if it was a wired connection. Is that correct?

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

The on-line documentation at https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html contains lots of details for VirtualBox networking:
    The disadvantage of NAT mode is that, much like a private network behind a router, the virtual machine is invisible and unreachable from the outside internet; you cannot run a server this way unless you set up port forwarding (described below).
    which may explain why I needed to select bridged rather than NAT ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Success, at least on Knoppix

Success, at least on Knoppix, haven't tried the others yet. Using bridged instead of NAT brought me online with no fiddling with settings.

Got Mageia to work using bridged, but no go on GhostBSD2.5. It still doesn't find the network. Will keep fiddling and see why BSD doesn't work but the linux distro's do.

Ghost BSD is still giving me problems, some of the time. I changed all 4 network settings adapter to bridged and different type for each one, rebooted and it worked. Went back and changed one at a time back to the original setting, and with any one changed back, it didn't work. I don't understand it, but it's working. Now to solve my other difficulties. Updater loads, and as soon as the package list is complete, it shuts down before I can look at the list and see if I want to add a program. Oh well. At least I have the internet problem solved.