Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi. sorry about the title but I couldn't put it in other words. I started programming in linux in college and of course my tutor gave us help in signing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb I want to know how people know their password to sign into putty.

Hi. sorry about the title but I couldn't put it in other words. I started programming in linux in college and of course my tutor gave us help in signing in etc. now, i have downloaded putty and want to sign in. it says" enter login username:" thats grand because that part worked and then all of a sudden BANG! IT ASKS FOR A PASSWORD. what is the password?? how do i find this password. i have searched the length and breadth of the internet for an answer but nothing and im really annoyed. I tried changing my computers password by going on command prompt and typing in net user and then going from there to change the password. i went back to try this password out and it says "access denied" again. please please please help. all i want to do is start programming and i cant because of this

Putty connects to another computer. The text you see on the screen in putty after you connect comes from another computer.

The password (and the logon name) you use when connecting are the ones that have been set on that remote computer. If your teacher has helped you through this before, he should have access to your password, or at least should know how to reset it to something that you know and can remember.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!

i dont know what you mean by saying that "im connecting to another computer" because im on my laptop at home and i downloaded putty from the website "chiark.greenend". i used this website address as the "host name" instead of using an ip address. now when i was doing it in college i was of course logging onto the LAN of the college. so if i want to get a password, then where do i get it because im not logging onto another computer. for instance if someone at home sat down one day and said "do you know what? i think ill randomly start programming in linux and i'll use putty because i've heard of it before." then that person sits down and downloads it etc. but they were never told a password, they dont know where to find the password. see i dont know why putty asks for a password when it never gave you one in the first place.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    if you are not connecting to another computer why are you installing an ssh client?

It might help if you use Google to find out a little bit about what Putty is. Putty isn't Linux It's not a programming tool. It doesn't let you write software.

Putty is a Windwos program that emulates the job of the ssh tool on Linux. What these tools do is connect from your computer to another computer allowing you to (usually) get a text-mode login session. To log in correctly to the computer you're connecting to you normally (there are other, advanced ways) need a logon name and password allowed by that remote computer.

If you type a web address into the connection box in Putty, that web address is the name of the computer you're connecting to. This is what web addresses normally are - they're the name of a computer coupled with some path information telling the computer which files you're trying to read.

Although you think you're just 'connecting to the LAN' of your college, what you're actually doing is talking to one of the computers somewhere in the college. If you don't have a valid username and password for that computer, then you need to speak to the system administrators so you can get one. In the larger colleges they've usually got a whole department for this kind of administration.

Just Joined!

ahh i see

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    It might help if you use Google to find out a little bit about what Putty is. Putty isn't Linux It's not a programming tool. It doesn't let you write software.

Putty is a Windwos program that emulates the job of the ssh tool on Linux. What these tools do is connect from your computer to another computer allowing you to (usually) get a text-mode login session. To log in correctly to the computer you're connecting to you normally (there are other, advanced ways) need a logon name and password allowed by that remote computer.

If you type a web address into the connection box in Putty, that web address is the name of the computer you're connecting to. This is what web addresses normally are - they're the name of a computer coupled with some path information telling the computer which files you're trying to read.

Although you think you're just 'connecting to the LAN' of your college, what you're actually doing is talking to one of the computers somewhere in the college. If you don't have a valid username and password for that computer, then you need to speak to the system administrators so you can get one. In the larger colleges they've usually got a whole department for this kind of administration.
    oh i now understand what is happening. no wonder we use putty in college because it is connecting to the " main compute ". so does anyone know how i can start programming in linux at home then? linux being the one with bin and bash etc.. THANKS

It all depends on which programming language you want to learn. I'd start with a good IDE (development tool) though - take a look at eclipse and kdevelop - there are others too.

Just Joined!
    well i have learnt c programming. im am kind of confused with "linux" because is it a programming language AS WELL as an operating system? or is it only one of them? ill give u an example of what language we did in college. it goes like this... if [ $# -ne 2 ] then echo " its no equal to 2" . pretty much like that. how can i start programming IN THAT language. what can i download to start programming in THAT language? for example to program in c programming at home i use codeblocks.

linux is not a programming language.
    It is a kernel.

The code snippet looks like bash. Bash is part of the default install of more or less any linux distribution.
    To learn bash, have a look here:
    Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    yes we start off with #!\bin\bash ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS HOW TO START DOING IT AT HOME SO I CAN IMPROVE. someone please tell me. cant find an answer anywhere. I WANT TO START DOING THAT PROGRAMMING LIKE I CAN DO IN COLLEGE. I WANT TO DO IT AT HOME TO IMPROVE. i used codeblocks for c programming NOW WHAT DO I USE FOR THIS LANGUAGE THAT I HAVE DESCRIBED. do i go on google and download something?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast