Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have successfully upgraded to Open SUSE 12.1 and wonder how is it that I sometimes get this window telling that my browser is not up to date. I presume ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Latest version of Fire Fox

I have successfully upgraded to Open SUSE 12.1 and wonder how is it that I sometimes get this window telling that my browser is not up to date. I presume its the Fire Fox.

I did a bit of trial and error clicking here and there on the FFox logo to see if I can get some info of which version it is actually! Unfortunately, I must have clicked any other keys except the right one. So I am at a lost as to what version it actually is. I believe FF is now version 16.

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    When running Firefox, go to Help -> About Firefox and the version will be listed there. In order to get the latest versions of Firefox packages, you need to add the Mozilla Repository to your software sources.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by mhismail View Post
    I believe FF is now version 16.

Appreciate your help. Thanks.
    Just make sure it is 16.0.1 and not 16.0, in regards to a security bug. I'm sure OpenSUSE would be on top of this, but it doesn't hurt to check.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks Dark.child. OK with your suggestion I found out its version 16.0.1 for Open SUSE 12.1. So I do have the latest version then. However, why did the crashes happened and a window telling me about that. What other issues can be at hand then? Fyi I am still working on how to get my recorded talk to play on my Open SUSE. I will post this a bit later.

oz
    forum.guy
    I found out its version 16.0.1 for Open SUSE 12.1. So I do have the latest version then.
    Yes, you have the latest version for the moment. You can always see what the latest firefox release is on their releases page:

Mozilla Firefox Release Notes

However, the latest release won't appear in your distro's repository until the distro devs have compiled it and placed in their repo.
    Last edited by oz; 10-24-2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: corrected a word
    oz

Just Joined!
    However, why did the crashes happened and a window telling me about that. What other issues can be at hand then?
    Crashes? you hadn't mentioned crashes earlier, just a window telling you that the browser wasn't up-to-date. More info (what happens, when does it happen, what error messages come up) please.

Thanks Dark.child. OK with your suggestion I found out its version 16.0.1 for Open SUSE 12.1. So I do have the latest version then.
    To check on versions, go into yast > install and remove software, search for firefox. There is a tab at the bottom that tells you about versions and which repo they are from.

From oS 12.2 (and 12.1 ought to be the same, but that isn't quite a guarantee that it is) you should have 16.0.1-2.17.1, and for me it doesn't make a difference whether I have the Mozilla repo enabled, or not (that is 16.0.1-2.17.1, is still the most up-to-date either way).

I don't quite get why you are getting the message about the browser not being up-to-date if it is, but it is possible that if your default browser has been changed (konqueror, Opera, Chrome, Midori...) the message might relate to that, I suppose.

If you have apper running (and not everybody does) that should list all of the updates outstanding for your system, so if there is a browser listed in there, it would possibly pay to take that update.