Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I receive the following error message when i try to compile anything with Free Pascal Compiler: Free Pascal Compiler version 2.6.0-6 [2012/10/05] for x86_64 Copyright (c) 1993-2011 by ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FPC issue

Hello everyone,
    I receive the following error message when i try to compile anything with Free Pascal Compiler:
    Free Pascal Compiler version 2.6.0-6 [2012/10/05] for x86_64
    Copyright (c) 1993-2011 by Florian Klaempfl and others
    Target OS: Linux for x86-64
    Compiling ulam.pas
    Fatal: Can't open file "ulam.pas"
    Fatal: Compilation aborted
    Error: /usr/bin/ppcx64 returned an error exitcode (normal if you did not specify a source file to be compiled)

I tried to google the problem (surprisingly) but all i found was a solution that didnt help me (namely installing FCL, which i have already done). Any ideas what is causing the problem? I have ubuntu 12.10. Thx in advance!
    PS. i hope this is the right place for this thread, wasnt sure whether i should post this in programming or here.

Trusted Penguin
    Hello and welcome!

that doesn't seem like a problem with the compiler, but with the input file, and the compiler finding it, specifically. I assume ulam.pas is a text file containing the program code you wish to compile? If so, have you tried calling it using the absolute path, e.g.:

Code:
    fpc ./ulam.pas
    This assumes that ulam.pas is in your current working directory. Notice the "./" before the file name.
    Last edited by atreyu; 11-02-2012 at 05:09 AM. Reason: hello and welcome!

Just Joined!
    You were right actually, thank you. This is odd though, like 2 days before i would compile without changing directory and writing this detailed path. Thx for help man.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyracz View Post
    This is odd though, like 2 days before i would compile without changing directory and writing this detailed path.
    In that case, I would guess then that the file you were trying to compile was in a directory that was already in your PATH, if that is possible.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted. Will close this thread and mark as SOLVED for you.