Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am looking for Linux counterparts for the following programs. I am considering Mint, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Kubuntu and Mandriva. MSXML Parser and SDK Karen’s Directory Printer Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Recommendations request

I am looking for Linux counterparts for the following programs. I am considering Mint, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Kubuntu and Mandriva.

MSXML Parser and SDK
    Karen’s Directory Printer
    Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (if functionality not already incorporated in Linux)
    AutoHotkey (to create an AutoCorrect file that may be accessed by all programs that have text editing)
    file renaming utility

Add to the list Advanced System Care / WinCleaner
    Last edited by WhitePhoenix; 11-21-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Just Joined!
    Of the OSs listed, I would consider Mint or SuSE. SuSE KDE is better than Gnome IMO but try them both...

For the replacements, I'm not sure what you're needing with some so I will answer what I can...
    Directory printer - Cups? Try localhost:631 from your browser to configure.
    WinCleaner - BleachBit is good. You will find that there is no registry and not many left over files but BleachBit takes care of what is there...
    As for the others, sorry I couldn't help...

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix View Post
    I am looking for Linux counterparts for the following programs. I am considering Mint, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Kubuntu and Mandriva.

MSXML Parser and SDK
    Karen’s Directory Printer
    Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (if functionality not already incorporated in Linux)
    AutoHotkey (to create an AutoCorrect file that may be accessed by all programs that have text editing)
    file renaming utility

Add to the list Advanced System Care / WinCleaner
    The Linux Alternative Project

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Look through the Linux Alternative project first to see what is available.

Most major Distros Like Ubuntu, Fedora, and Debian based distros should have those available through the package installer of the distro you choose.

The Linux Alternative Project

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The distros are not an issue. I have ordered Live CDs of each and will try them out. I only listed them in case there was a difference in which Linux applications worked with specific distros.

Karen’s Directory Printer creates a customizable print out or file of what is in a directory/folder. However, I don’t think there is a Linux version. I use this to organize files within a project that I work on when there are a lot of them.

WinCleaner does more than just cleaning the registry. It has a function to move/rename folders without causing problems and it is able to reverse the process if there is a problem. Other than that Advanced System Care did the same thing a little better: cleaning out junk files, defragmenting, file shredding, uninstalling, system optimization depending on use, browser optimization and security, cleaning out unauthorized cookies, memory optimization, etc.

Although, some of this may not be needed with Linux. I will check out the Linux Alternative Project.

Just Joined!
    WinCleaner does more than just cleaning the registry. It has a function to move/rename folders without causing problems and it is able to reverse the process if there is a problem. Other than that Advanced System Care did the same thing a little better: cleaning out junk files, defragmenting, file shredding, uninstalling, system optimization depending on use, browser optimization and security, cleaning out unauthorized cookies, memory optimization, etc.

Although, some of this may not be needed with Linux. I will check out the Linux Alternative Project.
    The distro won't matter. Just look at each as a different flavor... Some wrap it in a file like deb, rpm, etc but you can always make from source, which is best IMO. As far as the Adv Sys Care, that's what I used when I used Windows but like I said, you won't need it. Software isn't like it is in Windows. Look at it like referencing a script and writing back to a file. When your drive doesn't fragment, you don't need optimization. I will say ASC is only good for removing junk. More than a few times, it left functions of programs disable, until I installed it again.

BleachBit cleans out junk files and deeper browser cleaing and tmp cleaning but as for the browser optimization, I think ASC is garbage. I ran several benchmark tests to truly optimize my system before I converted and I saw no benefit from any of the software that advertised that. I will also tell you it creates security holes because when programs write values and ASC or other programs clear them out, you are at risk. I've also tried all the network optimization crap too and it's just that.

Load a distro onto a flash drive if you have to and boot it up. I think everything you are looking for can be found in Linux, you will find much more stability, your security will be greater, and you don't need to look at it like you have to "help" the OS's efficiency by way of another software program....

As I suspected the PC maintenance applications are not really needed with Linux. Maybe cache clearing once in a while and junk file cleaning to free up space on the hard drive.

I still haven’t found a replacement for Directory Printer, MKLC or AutoHotKey (I only need the system-wide AutoCorrect function anyway). The Linux Alternative Project is still incomplete. Good on the major applications, but still missing odd utilities like Directory Printer. I do suspect that the problem is that currently there are no alternatives to these.

I have discovered that I can access the keyboard layouts directly. Although, in some ways the layouts seem to be more limited on Linux than Windows. I had six levels using MKLC with a possibility of eight. Linux seems to be limited to five, and I find using the AltGr key instead of Ctrl+Alt isn’t as flexable. Still, a GUI interface would help me edit and map the keys.

For Directory Printer I*came up with a work-around using XP on a virtual box. But I cannot access the main hard drive (the root drive) directly. But since mostly I’m interested in my personal files, I just copied them over to my backup drive and created file lists from that. The drawback is that the file dates are off since I don’t know how to have the dates preserved. I know there’s a tool for that, now that I’m thinking of it I should see if I*can find that Unix tools package--this time for Linux instead of Windows.

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

I see from Karen's Directory Printer that there is VB6 source code available. That might be an interesting project to port-convert to Linux, perhaps with something like:
    Code:
    GAMBAS3
     Gambas is a free development environment based on a Basic interpreter
     with object extensions, like Visual Basic(tm) (but it is NOT a clone!).
     With Gambas, you can quickly design your program GUI, access MySQL or
     PostgreSQL databases, pilot KDE applications with DCOP, translate your
     program into many languages, and so on...
    Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Well, I retire in three years and Visual Basic is a modern version of BASIC so I guess then I’ll have time. Except that I never learned to program for Windows, just DOS. 8-\

Maybe someone who is better at programming then I am will rise to the challenge someday.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    As I suspected the PC maintenance applications are not really needed with Linux. Maybe cache clearing once in a while and junk file cleaning to free up space on the hard drive.
    Well, there's bleachbit which should be available in most distributions repositories; I've no idea how good or otherwise it is as I have never needed to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by drl
    I see from Karen's Directory Printer that there is VB6 source code available. That might be an interesting project to port-convert to Linux, perhaps with something like:
    I wouldn't mind having a crack at that but I got as far as seeing the "source code" is a .exe so who knows what the payload actually is. Might have to grab it and see if I can extract it on a vm. [edit]Well it is just source code; can't see why source code would be wrapped in an installer executable - neither self extracting zip or rar.[/edit]
    Last edited by elija; 05-12-2014 at 07:51 PM.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Guru
    An XML parser will depend on the language but the standard ones are libxml,libxml2 and libxml++. Apache has a couple including xerces-c.